The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I am from Southwestern Indiana and I love to bird hunt. I have a 2 year old wirehair who I trained myself and is coming on very strong. I am in need of a little help. My grandfather lives in Mercer County, PA and I am wanting to plan a grouse and woodcock hunting trip up to PA this fall with my father. My grandfather owns around 150 acres but not great grouse habitat. I am wanting some guidance on the SGLs nearby his farm. I am in no way going to share any information that anyone might give me. I would rather you send me a pm to protect any information you may give. Thank you all for your help and happy hunting.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
BirdK9,
Pick up a copy of the western pennsylvania all outdoors atlas & field guide. I think walmart still sells them in the sporting good section. There are maps of all the Pa state game lands in there and it should be easy to see which ones are near your grandfathers property. Happy hunting to you too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wingshot,
Thanks for the advice! I know of where a couple are within minutes of his farm. I was wanting to know within those SGLs where I should focus or if they are even worth hunting. I have the numbers of the game lands but I don't really want to let them go out on the board.

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
This might be a tough one to get a lot of responses with being that it is your first post. You would be about 3 hours away from me, or I would give you a few places to try in my neck of the woods. I have family in Crawford county, from what I hear there aren't a lot of grouse up that way. Can't be positive though.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
BirdK9 said:
Wingshot,
Thanks for the advice! I know of where a couple are within minutes of his farm. I was wanting to know within those SGLs where I should focus or if they are even worth hunting. I have the numbers of the game lands but I don't really want to let them go out on the board.
Oh, I think the only way you're going to find out whether or not they're worth your time is to put on your boots and do some physical scouting of those areas. That's the way we all do it.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
So you have game lands numbers where you may hunt grouse and you don't want to put them on the internet yet you want someone to tell you where to go grouse hunting on the internet! Go figure.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wingshot and John S,
In my original post I said I lived in southwestern Indiana. To my grandfathers farm is 8 hours. Boots on the ground is not something I can do regularly. I was just looking for a little guidance not asking for your favorite hotspot. i.e. SGL 000 has some grouse and you should focus on hunting the southwest corner of the property.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
BirdK9 said:
Wingshot and John S,
In my original post I said I lived in southwestern Indiana. To my grandfathers farm is 8 hours. Boots on the ground is not something I can do regularly. I was just looking for a little guidance not asking for your favorite hotspot. i.e. SGL 000 has some grouse and you should focus on hunting the southwest corner of the property.
PM sent.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
BirdK9 said:
Wingshot and John S,
Yeah, but if you don't specify what SGL you're interested in how is anyone going to be able to tell you where the grouse are?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is why I mentioned the county so that anyone who knows the area could let me know and I would privately share the SGL numbers.

·
Super Moderator
2,381 Posts
BirdK9 said:
Hi everyone! I am from Southwestern Indiana and I love to bird hunt. I have a 2 year old wirehair who I trained myself and is coming on very strong. I am in need of a little help. My grandfather lives in Mercer County, PA and I am wanting to plan a grouse and woodcock hunting trip up to PA this fall with my father. My grandfather owns around 150 acres but not great grouse habitat. I am wanting some guidance on the SGLs nearby his farm. I am in no way going to share any information that anyone might give me. I would rather you send me a pm to protect any information you may give. Thank you all for your help and happy hunting.
I live in Mercer county PA and hunt grouse at least 35 days a year. I think you will be hard pressed to flush more than 1 or 2 grouse a day on gamelands in Mercer county. The last one I flushed was Jan 8, 2011 (but then again I no longer hunt here often). If you consider within 100 miles to be "near" his farm you should be able to get into some birds. If near means less than an hour away, it could be a real challenge.

·
Registered
683 Posts
dap said:
BirdK9 said:
I live in Mercer county PA and hunt grouse at least 35 days a year. I think you will be hard pressed to find more than 1 or 2 grouse in Mercer county. The last one I flushed was Jan 8, 2011 (but then again I no longer hunt here often). If you consider within 100 miles to be "near" his farm you should be able to get into some birds. If near means less than an hour away, it could be a real challenge.
Dap your pm is full

·
Super Moderator
2,381 Posts
There are 5 gamelands that are all or partially in Mercer county.

SGL 130 - near Sandy lake
SGL 270 - near Sheakleyville
SGL 294 - near Fredonia
SGL 284 - near Volant
SGL 151 - near Plain Grove

You would have probably found grouse on all of them 30-40 years ago, with SGL 130 being the best. Now SGL 130 is the only one I'd even consider for grouse. If you delay your trip for a while, SGL 130 could once again hold birds. The PGC has done some large cuts there that should be prime in about 10 years.

·
Banned
994 Posts
BirdK9,
Welcome to HPA. Dap pretty much summed it up. Mercer county grouse hunting was good until the late 70's/early 80's. Still a few scattered birds out there but not worth pursuing. As far as woodcock, your odds of timing a worthy migration are very slim.

If I were you, and wanted to have a good hunt with Dad and dog, I would consider a bird preserve in western PA. Here is a recent thread on W. PA preserves. Good luck.
http://www.huntingpa.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3183668&nt=2&page=1

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you everybody for the information. I believe we might give some of the mentioned sgls a shot. If we don't have any luck we might look into preserves. Thanks again!

·
Super Moderator
2,381 Posts
BirdK9 said:
Thank you everybody for the information. I believe we might give some of the mentioned sgls a shot. If we don't have any luck we might look into preserves. Thanks again!
You should be able to find stocked pheasant without much difficulty on any of the gamelands from opening day until the Saturday after Thanksgiving. SGL 270 would be one of the better choices.

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
My advice is to turn your truck north from Indiana and go to Michigan if you want to hunt grouse. Alot closer than Mercer, PA and alot better grouse hunting.

But you can be into grouse in about a 1-2hr trip from Mercer. Which stinks because about 20 years ago you would have only had to travel 10-20 minutes from Mercer and possibly been able to hunt them on your grandfathers farm.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
HighCountry,
I have looked into grouse in michigan. The reason to hunt in pa was to visit my grandfather as well as free lodging. I also have googled driving distance and it is roughly the same amount of drive. From my home to the michigan border is right at 6 hours and to good grouse country would be another 2 hours. This makes my decision a little easier to go to pa. Thanks for the help.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts