The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got about 8 in. of snow the other day and want to do some grouse hunting. Any tips on hunting grouse with this much snow on the ground?
What kinds of food sources and what type of cover to look for?

·
Registered
390 Posts
In deep snow, I've always had my best luck near the outside edge of heavy stands of pine.

Especially good if adjacent to heavy tangles of wild grape or brushy woods where the overhead "cover" permitted by all of the above allows for pockets of lesser snow depth underneath where they can move around a little easier.

Food supply limited this time of year and other good spots are up out of the snow, in the tree tops feeding on buds, aspen being a favorite.

Once or twice I also found some working remaining acorns.

This time of year they tend to flock up, so watch for multiple flushes. Also, look for tell tale tracks in the snow which will indicate birds near by.

Have fun.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I hunted for about 5 hours today in XXXX county near the town of XXXXXXXXXXXXXX. I saw about 3 sets of grouse tracks... all old. Didn't move a bird at all. I have a very tough time finding grouse on a regular basis after the snow falls. Hunted pines and clear cuts... They just seem to disappear... Good luck.

G

1 - 4 of 4 Posts