The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got out for some grouse after deer season with the pup. This is her first bird season so Ive been trying to not expect too much out of her but after losing my other dog and my other dog with lymes the season wasnt looking good. Anyways she did bust a few birds today but pointed and held two for me. She suprised me today with two solid points and even relocated on the one and held it till I got to it. Im still missing my old grouse dog but the pup is definately helping to keep me busy this season.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Not to bring up a bad topic, but Lymes is always a concern for me. The lymes vaccine seems to be a hotly debated issue. Based on your experience, just wondering what your view point is on the vaccine. Some say it works, some say it doesn't, some say the side effects it can cause are not worth it. Where I live, Lymes isn't that prevalent, but it is at a lot of places where I travel to hunt. It's always been one of those things I just can't make my mind up on.

·
Registered
636 Posts
K9 Advantix and a Preventix collar solved that problem for me. We are absolutely infested with ticks in Jefferson County where my camp is.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
britman,
Great picture and give the pup a steak dinner for the relocation and gunning set up. My kind of Grouse dog
no doubt about it. Hay it still looks like you are short a good Grouse Gun however, pick up a fine L.C. Smith or Parker double Gun in 16 or 20 Gauge, and get rid of that Duck Gun in the Grouse woods. Congrats again on a fine hunt.
Pine Creek/Dave

·
Registered
964 Posts
Very nice! I love it when things come together for a young dog!

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
NJP158 said:
Not to bring up a bad topic, but Lymes is always a concern for me. The lymes vaccine seems to be a hotly debated issue. Based on your experience, just wondering what your view point is on the vaccine. Some say it works, some say it doesn't, some say the side effects it can cause are not worth it. Where I live, Lymes isn't that prevalent, but it is at a lot of places where I travel to hunt. It's always been one of those things I just can't make my mind up on.
I started giving my dog the lymes vaccine about two years ago and she got it this year so its a crap shoot with it. I had a long talk with my Vet who hunts with me and writes for a hound forum and recently did an article on the lymes vaccine. Anyways Im still giving the vaccine after weighing the options and some lengthy discussion.

Pine Creek-- I just have a thing for those fine Italian Semi's for some reason but do love a nice double and might add one soon to the collection.

·
Super Moderator
2,837 Posts
Congratulations, nice hunt with a good looking pup. What's up with her right front leg? Looks almost like she has a splint on it.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
dap said:
Congratulations, nice hunt with a good looking pup. What's up with her right front leg? Looks almost like she has a splint on it.
It got cut up during pheasant season pretty bad and she hasnt let it heal yet so Ive been wrapping it when Ive been running her hoping it wont get worse.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Nice Pic...I have two Britts. A two and a 9 month old. Its always exciting to see a new pup start to learn the game. Also, these guys don't know what there missing if that is the gun I think it is. That is the benelli 28 ga...my favorite grouse gun. Swings fairly smooth for a superlight gun. Nice Work

·
Registered
4,912 Posts
Pine-Creek said:
britman,
Great picture and give the pup a steak dinner for the relocation and gunning set up. My kind of Grouse dog
no doubt about it. Hay it still looks like you are short a good Grouse Gun however, pick up a fine L.C. Smith or Parker double Gun in 16 or 20 Gauge, and get rid of that Duck Gun in the Grouse woods. Congrats again on a fine hunt.
Pine Creek/Dave
Gosh Dave, you'd probably scold me if you saw me in the grouse woods. I really want a nice double gun but right now I have one shotgun for everything: Mossberg 835 pump, all camo.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
That's a good picture even if the shotgun doesn't happen to have been built by James Purdey, Charles Hellis or the Parker brothers.

Sounds like the pup is starting to figure things out.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.