The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know all the grouse are about to die out... But I have been scouting anyway in the Northern part of our state, when I can get out of wedding planning, and in one area ran into a huge plot of what I believe is glossy buckthorn, which I know is a terrible invasive, with a good crop of berries. I have not really seen them talked about as grouse plants so I was wondering if people have put up any grouse hunting a thicket of them. I did not see any birds in them but was mainly sticking to trails and not brush busting at that time due to time constraints. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
14,702 Posts
I have found buckthorn to be one of the best places to find grouse during the more recent years. That seems to be one of the few game species that regularly use the thick buckthorn areas though.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
964 Posts
I don't know as much as I should about flora identification. What does this stuff look like? I can identify hawthorn and a few others but am not familiar with buckthorn.

·
Registered
25,210 Posts
common buckthorn will look very similar to cherry bark but will grow in clumps. The berries will turn dark purple and will hold on the tree almost all winter... Common buckthorn will have cluster of berries unlike the photo of glossy buckthorn.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.