The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I set out to get the crossbow dialed in this weekend. I have a 4 crosshair Tru glo scope, on top of a Horton Summit 150. I started at 15 yards. I got a few decent groups after some adjustments. I went back to 25 and shot on the second crosshair. I hit way low. This surprised me a bit so I put the 3rd crosshair and nailed it. I moved back to 30 yards and hit kill zone with the 4th.

I thought that this was a bit off but after going through the rounds again I found this to be where the pins would have to be set. 15yd, 20yd, 25yd, 30yd.

I am new to the sport and was wondering if you veterans could help me out. I am shorting a Horton Summit 150. The bow seems awfully slow to me, but that could just be how this modle is.

I did notice when I was shooting I would have a few rounds of good 3" groups or so, then one would be really wild. I had shot at 25 yards for a few rounds. One of the shots I hit perfect in the heart where I was aiming, and on the very next shot the arrow sail into my glendel bucks neck. I can't be certain if I had pulled that bad or if something in my scope is messing up.

I am using my hands to cock it and not using a string aid or a crank. I was thinking maybe I had pulled the string at a not so perfect angle when I locked it in.

The trigger on this crossbow is tough to get used to. I found myself squeezing until it broke. It seemed like it took for ever for the trigger to start to break. I am not used to crossbows at all, and I am inmagining that this will become a non issue.

I am fine with the bow being limited to 30 yards, as I am not impressed with its speed. I may not take it out this year, but am thinking about it. I am shooting 100 grain tips on 2219 arrows. Should I try a heavier head since the bow is slower?

Any other tips?

·
Registered
18,622 Posts
Hey Mike.

The Summit is not a speed burner and you trajectory sounds about right. There will be alot of "arch" while archery hunting with that bow.

The bow is capable of good groups. The scope base on Hortons is notoriously wonky. Check all of the screws and rings. Tru Glo scopes can be ok but usually their lowest end models sit atop bows like the Horton. Could be the scope that is the culprit. The Summit is easy to cock by hand but that could be contributing as well. Mark the center serving with a sharpie where it meets the sides of the rail before cocking. After cocking make sure those reference marks are equidistant from the sides of the rail. Low end arrows and a bad trigger won't help either.

Bottom line is your groups should be better than that if you do your part. The Summit is a good bow out to 30 yards for big game.

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks dpms. I got it as a present a few years ago from my wife, and she is always on me to use it. I am more into compound hunting but want to give it a try this year.

I am worried about the momentum from this slow of a bow. If i up the heads to 125 grains and get a heavier arrow, it will definetly make it slower but will it help penetrate?

·
Registered
18,622 Posts
125 grains will slow it down a bit for sure but may help penetration. I think it will be a wash at close yardages, honestly.

·
Registered
12,252 Posts
I agree with DPMS in checking all screws and bolts. It is a pretty common problem. I would also use a rope cocking aid and see if that makes a difference. That would be one variable that you could eliminate.

·
Registered
12,676 Posts
What do you guys think about string stretch until the string settles in? I know this is common with new strings on recurve style crossbows.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Only trick I have ever found with Horton triggers is to pull the trigger with the safety on and pointed in safe location. IE the ground. Only thing I have eve found to help remove some of that long trigger pull on Horton crossbows. If really that slow I would go heavy broadheads. A bad hand cock can defiantly cause fliers.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Had to look it up, but you also have the dial adjust on your model. You can adjust those ranges by dialing it up. Years ago with my legend I swapped the multi line scope for a 4 power weaver and just learned the ranges on the dial. Was out to 50 yards to PRACTICE and fun in no time

·
Registered
292 Posts
had the same bow with the same problem,tried all kinds of different bolts and broadheads and could never figure it out.I used it for several years limiting my shots to 20 yds and shot a few deer with it.

·
Registered
644 Posts
bowmike said:
Thanks dpms. I got it as a present a few years ago from my wife, and she is always on me to use it. I am more into compound hunting but want to give it a try this year.

I am worried about the momentum from this slow of a bow. If i up the heads to 125 grains and get a heavier arrow, it will definetly make it slower but will it help penetrate?
if you shoot a heavier setup it will penetrate like a champ. heavier arrows and broadheads in crossbows are insane on a deer at 20yds and under.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts