The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Legally no. But quite a few 220's or 330's have caught ground hogs. Bottom line, if the neighbors don't mind and you avoid non ground hog catches, probably ok.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Bad idea , we trappers get one more pet caught and our whole sport is in jeopardy . I just testified two weeks ago in a case against someone for setting a 220 on land . Luckily I found it , if one of the beagles had the judge and jury would have been waiting

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
a 160 down the hole with a 3x3 carpet over the hole.220 and up is too big of a trap.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Placing some apple or watermelon bubble gum where groundhog will find it will take care of any that eat it. Give them the whole pack. Works very well.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I was at a hardware store on Saturday and saw an older guy buying a 330. I asked, "what are trying to catch" he said a big groundhog....I tried to convince him to buy a 160 from me or hire me (wildlife pest agent)... anyhow, he bought the 330 and I showed him how to safely set it and even secured it in the set position with a tie-wrap. I cautioned him about pets as well, and wished him luck. I'm waiting to hear back from him soon, asking for help. If a guy has pet incident under his own deck, it's most likely a civil [censored] match. A homeowner "protecting" his property against vectors most likely will not be found guilty in court after a pet incident. But, I do agree that public perception of trappers suffers when ignorant homeowners "over-gun" for small critters. I've heard "my groundhog under my deck is over 20lbs" toooooo many times.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts