The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever heard of a groundhog eating chickens?

I always thought groundhogs were strictly vegetarians. My neighbor got some chickens and made a coop earlier this year. The first day they were in there, something broke in and killed one of them and drug it out the side of the coop.
We put a havahart trap out to catch it and were unsuccessful for about a week.

They went camping this week and I was feeding the chickens and collecting the eggs. Each day the trap was sprung and you could see where something was trying to dig into the coop.
Well, yesterday before I even got over there, my dog ran over and was barking at/fighting with something in the trap. It was a groundhog in the trap. The area was all torn up where it was trying to dig into the coop and the hog itself was covered with mud on its front legs where it had been digging.
I was a little skeptical that a hog was trying to get chickens so I took the trap down to the woods and turned it loose.
Then the family went out for father's day breakfast. When I came home, the groundhog was right back in the trap and the area was more torn up.
After that I took him for a ride to the family farm and let him out.

It occurred to me that it may have been after the chicken feed. But the feed goes down a tube into a pot that is about 1 1/2 feet off the ground and the chickens eat it all up when you put it in anyway.
The bait in the trap was a fried chicken leg bone that I had wired to the trap and when I caught the hog the second time, the leg was eaten and gone.

Don't know if this is the right forum for this or not. I was just wondering if anyone else had anything like this.

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I really don't know. the neighbors must have had KFC before they left for their camping trip. But believe me, it was devoured totally so the hog had a decided taste for it.
I know this is probably the darndest soundig question though. But still, it was trying to get in there after them.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
That is a crazy story and certainly a mystery.
Am a fur trapper & nuisance trapper and haven't heard of a Groundhog killing or eating Chickens. Not saying that wouldn't happen, just never saw that or heard of that.

k58 states-
<span style="color: #660000"><span style="font-weight: bold">But believe me, it was devoured totally so the hog had a decided taste for it.</span></span>
Are you only assuming this or did you check the gut of the Groundhog? I don't believe you unless you checked the gut.
Rats and Mice eat meat. Skunk, Coon and Possum steal bait. Some birds will rob baited traps.
When trapping, and a miss, stolen bait or empty fired trap is found, the trapper must give thought to 'what happened' as does a detective on a murder scene. Every thing must be examined in an open mind for best results.
Don't be narrow minded, think for yourself when trying to solve this problem.
I am not on the scene, but Groundhogs will enter traps that have only the scent of another Groundhog. Possibly why you caught the second hog.
My guess, you have more work to do, you will have to get into the right mine set to further you investigation and possibly set up a trail cam or two.
Always kill nuisance or problem animals, don't re-locate to cause problems elsewhere.
Please keep us updated.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I don't know about a groundhog eating a raw chicken, nor of a farmer that would welcome a groundhog being freed on the farm.

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hern, I didn't check the gut of the hog. Because I released it.
I do have a trail cam set up on the coop. Just haven't checked it yet. Can't wait to see if anything else is on there though.

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Zrabfan30 said:
I don't know about a groundhog eating a raw chicken, nor of a farmer that would welcome a groundhog being freed on the farm.
My family owns the farm. Down where I released it, it's just a picnic area and fallow fields.

·
Administrator
28,227 Posts
I've seen plenty of groundhogs making their home under chicken coops over the years, but I've never heard of one eating chickens.
I'm gonna guess that you havent got one nuisance critter, you've got two. The one you caught was just making a home for himself but is getting blamed for the the work of the real chicken killer.

·
20,123 Posts
Ya interesting! Animals aren't a lot unlike humans in a way. There's always the idiot that enjoys eating the ghost pepper if you know what I mean. There's always that one stupid groundhog that will eat meat. Maybe you found him. That was one dog that should have been dispatched though. Baaaaad genes.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
DIYASUB said:
I've seen plenty of groundhogs making their home under chicken coops over the years, but I've never heard of one eating chickens.
I'm gonna guess that you havent got one nuisance critter, you've got two. The one you caught was just making a home for himself but is getting blamed for the the work of the real chicken killer.
That what I think also but I am still open minded. A lot of people don't know that sometimes a squirrel will eat young birds out of a nest but they will although it isn't real common.

·
Registered
20,868 Posts
I once witnessed a groundhog feeding on a dead groundhog.I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it for myself.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
kudu58 said:
Zrabfan30 said:
My family owns the farm. Down where I released it, it's just a picnic area and fallow fields.

Next time you catch a ground hog, put a .22 Bullet between it's eyes and toss it somewhere for the Vultures or other critters to eat!

Ground Hogs come from [censored] and are a pain in the Butt and reproduce like Rabbits, they don't need being transported to other areas to start new populations!

Besides the fact, transporting them to another area and not knowing if the ground hog had rabies or not, you could transport rabies to an area that does not have Rabies!
Kill it from here on out!

I can not believe Hern didn't tell you that already with him being a Nuisance Trapper!

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I hear what you're saying. Still, I don't think it was rabid and I'm not going to kill anything just of the sake of doing so. Plenty of hogs out at our farm already, so I'm pretty certain I didn't start a new population out there.

On a side not, I checked the trail camera and the chickens were triggering it to take pics. So the card filled up and quit taking pics the morning before all this happened. So I will never know what actually ate the chicken leg.

Also, the trap was sprung with the bait stolen the past two days. So whoever called more than one culprit was 100% correct. Most likely this will be an ongoing battle no matter how many critters we trap out of there.

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Tcaddis said:
I know of one instances where a ground hog got in a pen with quail and ate every last one of them.
Tcaddis and dce, thanks for the replies. That's kinda what I was looking for. I know this whole thing sounds pretty far fetched and I was expecting skepticism as soon as I posted it. Honestly, I have spent a great deal of time in the outdoors hunting, fishing and trapping myself and I would be skeptical if I heard something like this.
I was just wanting to see if anyone else had experienced the same.

Probably the only other really weird thing I've seen like this was the last time I was in Africa. We were in Pilanesberg National Park and saw three giraffes standing around eating the bones from the carcass of an impala that had been killed by something. The photo safari guide we were with said the giraffe struggle to get adequate calcium in their diets in winter time (which it was) and they eat the bones to supplement it. Never would have imagined that prior to seeing it.

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Finally caught the more likely culprit this morning. Leaving in 5 min to give a big coon a new home.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts