The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And it's huge. Houses are too close to use a firearm, but plenty of distance for a crossbow. I haven't shot it much lately, but it was accurate at 40 yards when I tried it the other day. Is it appropriate to use the same broadhead as for deer? What points/tips do most woodchuck Xbow hunters use?

·
Registered
12,137 Posts
I would go ahead and use a broadhead. Woodchucks are plenty tough so I would not advise using a "blunt" in hopes of delivering a killing blow. If you have ever wounded a woodchuck and heard them scream - you do not want neighbors listening in, nor do you want to hear it yourself.
BTW, and I know I don't have to say this but I can't help myself, make sure you have a good backstop just in case that shaft goes off on an unintended trajectory toward houses.

·
Banned
2,401 Posts
I wouldn’t count on getting your arrow back either. They don’t always die quick and tend to die in the hole if they can get there. I used to have some old aluminum arrows and 4 blade ancient broad heads I kept for hogs. Just by chance they flew perfect just one pin off after 10 yards.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Out where I used to live I shot a ground hog with a Wasp broad head, he didn't die right there and ran under a storage trailer my neighbor had. I tried to get him out but he had a hole under there and got down the hole. Well I kindly forgot about it until I heard my neighbor out in that storage trailer dry heaving and gagging and carrying on. I felt obligated to go tell him what had happened and he wasn't none to happy that the ground hog got away and died under his trailer but was glad I got him so he wouldn't be digging holes around the field. Dang that thing stunk!:sad:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts