The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it legal to trap groundhogs with Conibear or foothold traps? I've had a rough time trying to control the population of these devils on the 100 acre tree farm where I work. They are our biggest pest. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Our local WCO told me it was ok, but I take care of them with my bow. we live in town and have a couple of cats and so do the neighbors. The last thing I need is a screaming cat in a trap. Plus shooting chucks with my bow seems to be good for practice

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Depends where exactly your at - I'll bring a couple people down and we'll put a good hurtin' on them.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I've gotten 40 or so in the past two years with the old .22 LR (Have to shoot them in the ears though!). Does not seem to have put a dent in them. The areas I'd like to trap are areas where I can't shoot because of houses etc.

·
Registered
9,721 Posts
I have also used the poison smoke bombs with success.It is good to get them early while their young is still in their so you can get the whole bunch.G/hogs are right up their with coons that are always on my hit list.

·
Banned
4,988 Posts
good ole boy said:
I have also used the poison smoke bombs with success.It is good to get them early while their young is still in their so you can get the whole bunch.G/hogs are right up their with coons that are always on my hit list.
Is that legal in Pa.?

·
Super Moderator
23,763 Posts
Dont know but alot of farmers use them

·
Registered
25,837 Posts
Helped do that back in the 1950s in Potter, when I spent summers on an aunt's dairy farm up there. IIRC, my uncle got the "rodent" bombs from the GLF store back then?

I once set a fencerow on fire with one of them cussed things and got my britches tanned for not making sure it was far enough down the burrow. I still claim it was a defective device.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I know several farmers that use propane to incinerate the vermin. They have a wand they insert into the hole and fill with gas then ignite. They do this in the early spring before the little ones are out and about. The explosion implodes the hole and complete termination is the result. You can buy or make a similar contraption.

Mark

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Those propane exploders are illegal and a hefty fine will ensue if they get caught!

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
They would unless the person who set it is a licensed nuisance wildlife control person. However, leg hold traps the meet the legal guidlines of the game code may be used to take groundhogs to prevent damage.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
John S said:
They would unless the person who set it is a licensed nuisance wildlife control person. However, leg hold traps the meet the legal guidlines of the game code may be used to take groundhogs to prevent damage.
My local WCO told me to use a conibear, leghold, or lead pill

·
Registered
9,721 Posts
John S said:
Those propane exploders are illegal and a hefty fine will ensue if they get caught!
They must be legal in some states(out west mostly)cause I have gotten literature from a Co.that sells em.Called the Exterminator if I remember.I don,t think they would work around here effectively with our soil types.They are marketed mainly for small rodents and out west for Prairie Dogs.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
They are legal in some states, PA's Game Code expressly prohibits explosive devices which is what they are. We recieved a video tape of the device being used for evaluation. When the gas exploded, the ground raised up. If anyone uses those things around an underground gas line I wouldn;t want to be anywhere in the area.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I called my local warden expressing my concern about these explosive devices, I was concerned about non target animals being in the dens. I was always taught be sure of your target an do all you can to recover your game . Explosive devices do neither, I have no problem with killing woodchucks but nobody knows whats in those dens. Local Warden wouldn't touch this subject, said something to the effect of Farmers protecting there crops on there own property. This is done every spring in Erie an Crawford Co, Gotta protect the soybeans. Also this is creek bottom lands all kinds of game animals using these dens. Just doesn't seem quite right, an I also believe someones going to blow themselves up. Just my .02 worth.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
With regard to trapping them, I found this on another forum. Is this legit? Seems like since it is a working nursery, and I am an employee, I should be ok?

(c) Permitted acts. Woodchucks may be trapped by properly licensed furtakers with permission of the person in charge of the land from February 1 through September 30 and during the general furbearer trapping season. For the purposes of this subsection, a person means a person as defined in section 2121(c) of the act (relating to definition). Traps and methods shall comply with section 2361 of the act (relating to unlawful acts concerning taking of furbearers) except that traps shall be set within 5 feet of any woodchuck hole or den.

as found at http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/058/c ... 41toc.html

2121(c) is as follows:
(c) Definition. - As used in this subchapter the word "person" shall be limited to any person cultivating, as a primary means of gaining a livelihood, any lands for general or specialized crop purposes, truck farming or fruit orchard or nursery being regularly maintained, as either the owner, lessee or a member of the family of the owner or lessee assisting with the cultivation of the land, or a domiciled member of the household of the owner or lessee or an employee of the owner or lessee, regularly and continuously assisting in the cultivation of the land.

as found at
http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/view ... 8&q=151056

1 - 20 of 41 Posts