The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a ton of ground this year. What are you fav. ground recipes? What all are you making?

Thanks... I need some ideas. I pulled some hamburger and hamburger helper ideas. Just curious what else people are using it for.

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
I like venison meatballs and meatloaf. Plain old venison cheesburgers are my favorite. Onion soup mix, worchester sauce, a little BBQ sauce, and mix in some bacon and seasoned salt. Cook over charcoal.

·
Registered
946 Posts
sch Co,

Here is one that I have been using lately. It is a very quick one skillet type recipe and comes out similar to a Hamburger Helper type mix except you don't have all of the salt that's in Hamburger Helper.

Venison Macaroni Skillet

1/2 lb. ground venison
1/3 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped green pepper
1 1/2 cups spicy hot V8 juice
1/2 cup uncooked elbow macaroni (I usually use rotini or penne)
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (I usually use less)
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Cook ground venison, onion, and green pepper in olive oil in skillet until meat is no longer pink.
Stir in the remaining ingredients.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer about 20 minutes or until pasta is tender.

I usually double the above recipe because I usually have about 1 lb. of venison and add a little more pasta than the recipe calls for. I try not to add too much Worcestershire sauce because it can overpower the taste if you're not careful. I like it spicy so I usually add some crushed red pepper to the meat when browning. When it's done top with some cheddar cheese and dig in. I like this recipe 'cause you can go from start to eating in about a half hour and it's pretty healthy. There's nothing in there that isn't good for you.

V

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
From my Old PGC Cook Book...and it is VERY Tastey!!
Knight50Cal and I tweeked the recipe a little...

makes 10 pounds of sausage...

7 pounds of ground deer meat
3 pounds of ground pork butt
6 level tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons black pepper
2 level teaspoons red pepper flakes
2 level teaspoons paprika
2 level teaspoons gound sage
4 teaspoons garlic powder

Stuff into pig casings or form into patties!

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Here's my favorite recipe for the ground meat. It's a bit of a process, but it is well worth it in the end:

Deer Bologna

5 lb ground venison
5 lb ground pork
10 tbsp Morton tender quick
2 tbsp black pepper
6 tbsp liquid smoke
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 cup brown sugar
½ cup corn syrup
2 tbsp ground mustard
1 tbsp accent flavor enhancer
1 tsp onion powder
1 tbsp onion flakes
1 tsp cayenne powder
½ bottle beer, preferably something dark, but definitely not anything light

Mix meat and Tenderquick thoroughly and leave in fridge for at least 8 hours or overnight.

Add the rest of the ingredients and mix very well.

Stuff casings. I use the red fibrous casings available at Gander Mountain. Stuff and twist close then crimp with a hog ring. If you have time allow the stuffed casing to rest for an hour or two in the refrigerator.

Bake at 200deg on a cookie sheet, rotating once every hour. It is done when the internal temp reaches 165, around 4 hours.

I like to slice into serving size pieces then vacuum seal in 1 lb packages. When properly sealed they last for quite a while in the freezer. *Do not store in just the red casings. The casings are not air tight, and the bolognas will freezer burn.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
Con Yeager!!! This is all you need for ground venison. Form the burger mixs to the bologna mix.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
if you like SPICY stuff...this is THE recipe

Hot Elk (meat) Balls:

Note: amount of ingredients is approximate. Ya have to go by taste. Have fun!

2-3# + Ground Elk (Venison works too, but the balls are MUCH smaller (heh, heh, heh...)
1# Bread Crumbs (I used Italian)
Egg (I use 1 for every 2 lb. of meat)
1/2c( ±) Milk
1/4c Cajun Seasoning
~ 1 tbl spoon White Pepper
1 medium sized Yellow Onion-diced small
Garlic-minced (I like a lot in mine – ½ to 1c as you like)
About ½ c Olive Oil
1oz. Italian Seasoning
Cayenne Pepper *use your powder scale-about 220 grains for 5 lbs. ;-)

Sauce:
K.C. Masterpiece (Original)
*Optional* Beer or Red Wine: one 12-oz. can or 1 cup wine
1c Brown Sugar
6oz. Louisiana Hot Sauce-I used a bottle
More Cayenne Pepper

Preheat the oven to º350.

Mix up the meat ball ingredients thoroughly; start a large frying pan with some oil in it over medium heat. Make up the meat balls in about 1" balls (I use a cookie dough scoop for venison, use a small ice cream scoop for ELK BALLS), and just brown them. No need to cook them through. Place in a 9x13 cake pan; or if making a lot, then put in a large foil pan. You will notice that there are flat spots where you brown them in the pan, don't worry about it.

Mix the ingredients for the sauce, and pour over the meat balls. (Add more cayenne to taste.) Place the meat balls w/ the sauce in the oven. To ensure the sauce flavors the meat, stir once in a while (about once every 30-45 mins.). This cooking in the oven will finish cooking the meat AND because there are breadcrumbs, it will expand and make nice round balls.

Bake for approx 2 hours at 350ºF stirring (gently) occasionally.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts