The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Missed more than a few years as a non-resident, but am planning a week's worth of PA hunting in '13.

I know climbing sticks/hang on tree stands are getting very popular, but are many seen on public land in PA Nov/Dec hunts.

I'm getting a new gps, partly for the trip, and wondering if bookmarking will be necessary or useful.

I'd use it to avoid tree stands twice on the same day or particularly on another day. Expect to
cover some territory, if necessary, so I wouldn't have to memorize them on a three-four day hunt, in several different locations.

In PA I'm looking for some good ground stalk hunting, and I'd be the last one carrying and using climbing sticks.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
This is one of the big reasons I return to PA each year to hunt as well.

I rarely run into treestands on the public land I hunt come rifle season. I suspect that there may be a little higher probability in archery season though. I rarely run across hunters on one ground stand for more than a few hours and that is usually on the first Monday and Saturday of the rifle season as well.

I've found that I have the woods mostly to myself except on the first Monday and Saturday.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Most of my recent southern hunting came in mid week and avoided a crowd. Heck, I need a new toy, and the gps won't be a high end one anyways.
I'll just go deep like I did years ago on an opening PA day. The same compass will come along too, I expect.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
I love my GPS. I could get lost in a WalMart parking lot. I went exploring a new spot and marked where my car was and expected to have the GPS bring me back. Everything was going great until my batteries died on the way back. So I now carry extra batteries for it.

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
gary3414 said:
I love my GPS. I could get lost in a WalMart parking lot. I went exploring a new spot and marked where my car was and expected to have the GPS bring me back. Everything was going great until my batteries died on the way back. So I now carry extra batteries for it.
Just navigate by the stars.

·
Registered
8,757 Posts
clermont said:
gary3414 said:
Just navigate by the stars.
Or park under the lamp post!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts