The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out over the weekend doing some bow hunting in n.y.s.
I have a ground blind set up over a well used trail and for the last few hunts I did not see a deer or bear.
I was out on Monday Morning in the ground blind and about 8;30 AM I hear a large blue bird behind me sound it like some one was hammering a nail into the tree,I did look to the rear and here he was beating on the tree bark:
I must of watch him for a least 2 to 3 min: and when I turned my head back to the shooting window there is a small basket 4 pointer looking into the blind window about 13 Ft. from me.I was shock he did approch the blind on a blind spot of the corner between the windows I never heard or seen him comming.I am sitting there bow in hand and tried to lean away from the window and i started to draw the bow back NO WAY he heard my elbow scuff the rear of the blind and it was all over.The blind works outstanding too bad i did not see him comming otherwise a 5 to 6 yard shot.

·
Registered
615 Posts
lonewolf5347, i use a double bull matrix 360 and ive had turkeys so close you could grab there necks!deer come so close sometimes that there vitals block the window[camo netting down ] i love this blind!!!!!!! sets up in seconds.. excellent for rattling! turkeys, making videos! the big plus is...... hunt anywhere... even in the middle of grass feilds. i use this 50% of time!!!!

·
Registered
615 Posts
you can draw back any bow in this blind! double bull makes one thats taller in center for long bows now. but if you have a compound its easy to draw. thats if you use there tri-pod chair. it puts you the same height sitting as opening on window.67" center and 6' square 2 people can sit side by side and have lots of room[including shooting windows] plus gear. if you ever seen any double bull videos there all true! i cant believe how good this blind works.. shoot through netting for deer, open window for turkeys in black gear.i never knew how many times turkeys blink until i got this blind. during spring gobbler this year i had gobblers struttin so close that they rubbed the fabric of the blind. bowhunting turkeys in this blind is just amazing!

·
Registered
461 Posts
I'm getting to old to climb and have been thinking of getting a ground blind. Seem's to me that they would stand out like a sore thumb??? I don't know?? Do you set up in some bushes or what?? I know nothing about them?? Would want one mainly for Archery.

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
ive had lots of deer come in close to my blind, also had people walk up to it one time and say some stupid stuff without even realizing I was sitting inside it. they took off real quick when I said something to them. I think they were thinking about stealing it.

·
Registered
615 Posts
ive set them up anywhere, the shape of my 360 makes the difference! hub style holds fabric so tight that it dosent shimmy in the wind! its not square, more eight sided. only in real high winds i use plastic stakes outside ropes to secure. i never set up in advance, takes 7 seconds to put up with a little practice. the video that comes with it shows you the trick. learning to do it in the dark takes practice. ive hunted out of 23 different blinds and this one by far is the best!! if your going to spend money on something to give yourself a advantage [equal to a treestand] buy this. ive sneaked up on deer opened blind , had deer walk by 3 yards away......never knew i was there. hunt where you have the advantage not the deer!

·
Registered
615 Posts
if you hunt mostly woods buy the dark horse, the camo works better. but if you hunt feilds and woods buy the matrix[predator "deception" camo] they both work great! i see more bucks out of this blind than a treestand. only because of placement of blind in cover void of trees! rabbit hunters know this!

·
Registered
461 Posts
secret said:
lonewolf5347, i use a double bull matrix 360 and ive had turkeys so close you could grab there necks!deer come so close sometimes that there vitals block the window[camo netting down ] i love this blind!!!!!!! sets up in seconds.. excellent for rattling! turkeys, making videos! the big plus is...... hunt anywhere... even in the middle of grass feilds. i use this 50% of time!!!!

Where did you buy that Double Bull Matrix360???? I'm in the Pittsburgh area.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I use an ameristep g30 hub
It works well
I set it up on the edge of a feild just barely in the woods.
Great oppurtunity to take the little ones out for a hunt
Their squirming around goes unnoticed
Also
It can take some real beating wind and makes no noise

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
smitz8500 said:
I use an ameristep g30 hub
It works well
I have/had one of these. I really liked it until my nephew took it out one morning and managed to break one of the pins and then rip one of the rods out of the round "hubs" where they all attach. Since that pin is snapped there is no way to reattach it. It has been sitting in my garage since last season. It's useless but I can't bring myself to throw it away, lol.

·
Registered
615 Posts
double bull has a lifetime replacement on all hub parts plus rods. all you need is to call them they will send the parts!primos will too! if you dont open it the way its designed to things go wrong! i got my 360 at cabelas many years ago.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
JPA,
The best success I've had with ground blinds is to set them up in some laurels/bushes to keep the natural cover in place and clear out some shooting lanes wiht a pair of hand clippers. Also, wearing black while in the blind vs. camo has been pretty productive as well. I've also had better success spraying them down with scent neutralizer as well as getting them set up a day or so in advance (of course that's tough to do on public land).

Good luck...they're fun to use.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Also, if you're going to use it for archery and haven't bought one yet, then go to a store where then have them on display. Get inside of one, get a chair, and a bow and see if you're comfortable drawing back a bow in the confined space. With some people & equipment, there's not enough room and they end up buying a blind that they end up not using.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i agree next year I will be in black.
I yet to see a blind that you can draw your bow and not be on a angle in the blind to get to full draw before getting on the game threw the window.I am also going to try to locate some black mesh material instead of the camo mesh(not to shoot threw) but like trying to only have enough of the window to getthe shaft threw.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Few years back I had someone take photos of me in a blind from 50yds out with and without camo on. There's a HUGE difference.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts