The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a solution for ground bees?
I have a nest by the back door in a pine bark mulch bed.
My usual trick is to cover the hole with a clear plastic or glass gallon jar and they fly around inside and die. On my second jar and noticed they found a third new entrance.
Because of the mulch they are finding escape routes too easily even though I covered the area at the base of the jars with rock dust.
Pyrotechnic solutions are not a good idea as this is right beside the house.
Wasp\hornet killer spray has not seemed to be effective?

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Wait until just before dark or just before sunup. Make sure you have all the entrances closed off but one. Take a spray can of wasp and hornet killer and empty the entire can down the hole. Then close off the entrance. Problem solved. I did that two years ago to yellow jackets at my sportsman's club, we haven had a problem since.

Reactions: BCozhunter

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
Get a strong Shop-Vac and some protective gear; suck into the vac some Raid then turn the nozzel of the vac on the entrance hole and when necessary wave it around and get the dive bombers. When it becomes too uncomfortable for you to continue - STOP. Come back later and continue with this until they are gone. Once gone then fill the hole with some sort of foaming Yellow Jacket killer. Fire is seldom the smart thing to do because fumes travel ABOVE ground and tend to gather around bare legs, curious children, dogs and testicles, lots off people get hurt when using fire on them.

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Never a good idea to put anything flammable (wasp spray is flammable last I checked) in any type of vac. One spark from the vac motor, and boom! Now that could really hurt your testicles!

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Go to Walmart and buy a couple cans of cheap brake cleaner, Instant death! Make sure you don't get any on you house siding!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Warm water with a healthy overdose of dawn or other good quality dish soap.

Pour it down the hole.

Google it, it works.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I don't know why anyone would play around with plastic jugs which don't prevent the wasps from digging a new exit when a can of wasp and hornet spray down the hole at sundown will solve the problem. No sense making something simple complicated.

Reactions: huntr4477

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't know why anyone would play around with plastic jugs which don't prevent the wasps from digging a new exit when a can of wasp and hornet spray down the hole at sundown will solve the problem. No sense making something simple complicated.
The clear jar over the holes has always been very simple and effective plus saves me a trip to town to buy a can of spray. We use spray in the barn and always seem to forget to buy more.
Now, I am very guilty of over complicating things; for example I have two cats because I was thinking they would actually catch mice.
Probably going to have to clear all the bark out down to bare ground to find the holes to spray, just wondered if there was a miracle cure like when I told my wife not to worry because I bought snake poison for the rat snakes around the barn.

·
Registered
9,508 Posts
If anyone happens to try and tackle a nest with a shop vac please have someone video it and post it.
That would make for some great entertainment.

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
If anyone happens to try and tackle a nest with a shop vac please have someone video it and post it.
That would make for some great entertainment.

Oh ye of little faith. I've done it twice (won't use Raid in the tank ever again though) with out the so called "entertainment" you hope for.

So, what's your solution? Whatever it is, I hope you get "entertained" too.

:highly_amused:

·
Registered
9,508 Posts
Oh ye of little faith. I've done it twice (won't use Raid in the tank ever again though) with out the so called "entertainment" you hope for.

So, what's your solution? Whatever it is, I hope you get "entertained" too.

:highly_amused:
I just spray the nest at dusk with a can spray.
When you’re out there in the middle of the day with a shop vac they’re all not in the nest.
Are you able to accomplish this without getting stung ?

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
I just spray the nest at dusk with a can spray.
When you’re out there in the middle of the day with a shop vac they’re all not in the nest.
Are you able to accomplish this without getting stung ?
Yep got hit some and it took a few tries and it looks like I got lucky that the Raid I sucked into the Vac did not touch a spark and blow the whole thing up. I have a nest in the front yard right now that I need to get rid of and after learning about the insecticide being flammable will not be putting it into the vac.

The Lord watches over fools and children so at 68 this puts me into the former of the two categories.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts