The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have any experience with these arrows/broadheads? Been watching the '19 deer tour and seen some of the guys switched to these heavy arrows and seem to like them. I watched a couple other videos and it seems like these can punch through bone pretty good and allow for a more quartering-to shot without worrying about getting stuck in the shoulder. I'm mostly interested because I shoot a short ATA bow that does not dissipate energy well and was thinking that a heavier arrow could help with that.

·
Registered
20,859 Posts
Anybody have any experience with these arrows/broadheads? Been watching the '19 deer tour and seen some of the guys switched to these heavy arrows and seem to like them. I watched a couple other videos and it seems like these can punch through bone pretty good and allow for a more quartering-to shot without worrying about getting stuck in the shoulder. I'm mostly interested because I shoot a short ATA bow that does not dissipate energy well and was thinking that a heavier arrow could help with that.
There's a give and take with everything.Heavy arrows with more FOC will penetrate more,all things equal but but also give up trajectory that can impact shot placement.I'm not a fan of light arrows and mechanicals because I want two holes every time.USING a 600gr arrow may have it's place in certain circumstances but I don't see it making the difference on deer in the vast majority of cases.Last year my son killed 4 deer with a goldtip 500 shot at 55lbs with a 24" draw.I had him using 100gr viper tricks which are a small cut on contact head.Every deer dropped within sight and he had a complete pass through every time.I never weighed his arrows but they were certainly less than 350gr and his bow shot right at 240fps.It doesn't get much lighter than that.In hindsight,I should have had him shooting a heavier arrow but that what we had and they did the job.I prefer arrows in the 450-475gr weight.That gives me a quiet shot,a flat shooting arrow and I've never not shot completely through a deer.Bowhunting is a game of picking and choosing your shots.Letting them walk if the shot isn't right is just part of bow hunting and I have no problems not drawing back on a deer that's quartering to me.I'm not going to shoot an ultra heavy arrows just in case I have the rare opportunity to shoot a deer at that angle.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
There's a give and take with everything.Heavy arrows with more FOC will penetrate more,all things equal but but also give up trajectory that can impact shot placement.I'm not a fan of light arrows and mechanicals because I want two holes every time.USING a 600gr arrow may have it's place in certain circumstances but I don't see it making the difference on deer in the vast majority of cases.Last year my son killed 4 deer with a goldtip 500 shot at 55lbs with a 24" draw.I had him using 100gr viper tricks which are a small cut on contact head.Every deer dropped within sight and he had a complete pass through every time.I never weighed his arrows but they were certainly less than 350gr and his bow shot right at 240fps.It doesn't get much lighter than that.In hindsight,I should have had him shooting a heavier arrow but that what we had and they did the job.I prefer arrows in the 450-475gr weight.That gives me a quiet shot,a flat shooting arrow and I've never not shot completely through a deer.Bowhunting is a game of picking and choosing your shots.Letting them walk if the shot isn't right is just part of bow hunting and I have no problems not drawing back on a deer that's quartering to me.I'm not going to shoot an ultra heavy arrows just in case I have the rare opportunity to shoot a deer at that angle.
It's not "necessarily" heavy arrows, but where the weight is (FOC). Although some of these guys are taking it to extremes, the emphasis is always on the weight being FOC. Seams it aids in flight as well as penetration.

The GrizzlyStiks arrows expand on this and taper their arrows for more weight forward right off the bat.

·
Registered
20,859 Posts
It's actually a combination of both and more FOC is good and easily attainable.The old concept of 75gr BH's is just stupid.Nobody advocates complete penetration more than me but you don't need "man sized arrows"to get complete pass throughs every time on deer.Stay away from mechanicals,shoot a moderate arrow,make sure your bow is super tuned to shoot lazers and you'll blow through every deer you shoot at.One of the many reasons people struggle to get good BH flight is that they aren't shooting enough FOC.Also,stay away from the shoulders.If you hit the shoulder,you missed the vitals anyway unless the deer was quartering to you.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Nobody advocates complete penetration more than me but you don't need "man sized arrows"to get complete pass throughs every time on deer.
You need to watch the Ranch Fairy videos. No one says you need "man sized arrows" to shoot through deer if you are a perfect shot and never miss the mark or your animals stand perfectly still and allow the arrow to go exactly where you want it to go.

·
Registered
13,125 Posts
I shoot 450 gr finished arrows with 125 gr fixed blade heads, about 260 fps. Nothing extra heavy, extra fast, or crazy foc. Iv'e shot several deer hard quartering away and one facing me straight on that the whole arrow disappeared into the deer and a couple others where only the nock was showing. Both the bucks I shot in '19 were broadside at 25 yds, both passthrus sticking into the dirt 4 to 6 inches. I don't see any reason to change anything, at least not for whiteys.

·
Registered
20,859 Posts
You need to watch the Ranch Fairy videos. No one says you need "man sized arrows" to shoot through deer if you are a perfect shot and never miss the mark or your animals stand perfectly still and allow the arrow to go exactly where you want it to go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlT4WzCRPIQ
I have watched them and don't disagree with 99% of what he preaches.If I were hunting hogs over a feeder,I would also use them.It's not necessary for deer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts