The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I shot the RazorTips for several seasons and had absolutely zero problems. Killed a pile of deer with them and never lost a blade or bent a ferrule. I think they are one of the most reliable and well-built mechanicals on the market.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
My bow shop loves them and swears by them. I probably will never trust another mechanical after the Rockets I used; only deer never recovered, a doe hit center lung.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
spur said:
My bow shop loves them and swears by them. I probably will never trust another mechanical after the Rockets I used; only deer never recovered, a doe hit center lung.
And not recovered??

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Yes. I watched the arrow travel 8 yards to the doe's center chest. Easy, textbook double lung and not recovered. Watched her run over 80 yards and marked where she went.

Found the arrow, and the ferrule only had 1 blade left in-tact, but the blade was completely bent. My best guess is that it hit a rib and snapped off the blades on entry. It would have been almost like a field tip going through her.

That is why I will never be able to bring myself to purchase another expandable. The pro shop keeps telling me that the technology is better and the grim reaper broadheads are much better. He even repeatedly said that the Rockets were "junk." But I am stubborn and trust fixed blades and probably will take me another 14 years before I try another expandable. You can blame Rocket for ruining me on expandables.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
I have shot the Rocket Sidewinders for years without any problems at all. I do have a pack of Grim Reapers but haven't used any of them yet. For elk this fall I went back to Thunderheads because of the heavier ribs.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I apologize for throwing stones, but a double-lung hit deer that isn't recovered is not something that can be blamed on the broadhead.

·
Registered
20,873 Posts
I agree but I see where he's coming from and normally wouldn't buy that story.However,I killed three bucks with rocket steelheads and broke at least two of the three blades every time.I recovered all three but two of them were the toughest tracking jobs I ever had to deal with.The one I didn't have to track because I hit the spine but the other two were perfect slam dunk shots.The one buck ran down hill,several hundred yards through all kinds of thick stuff and never bled drop until he died.There's a good chance I wouldn't have found that buck but I got lucky and happened upon the spot where he slid down a bank onto a small bench on my way out to get help.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
There were 4 tiny drops of blood about 5 yards from where I hit her on a stone wall. That was all of the blood there was. I had 6 seasoned guys doing a grid search and we couldn't find her. She headed toward a swamp and we never found her.

I am really surprised states didn't ban them. A lot of deer were lost with those heads.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I THINK THIS PROVES MY THEORY ABOUT SOME PROSHOPS. I WAS ONCE IN A "PRO-SHOP" AND HAD THEM TELL ME THAT ROCKET STEELHEADS WERE THE BEST BROADHEAD ON THE MARKET. THEY HAD SOME MAGAZINE ARTICLE THAT PROVED IT WAS THE BEST PENETRATING BROADHEAD TESTED. I FOUND IT HARD TO BELIEVE, BESIDES IF YOU WANTED TO SHOT A MECHANICAL WHY WOULD YOU SHOOT ONE WITH A 1 1/8 CUTTING DIAMETER, UNLESS YOU SHOT LOW POUNDAGE WITH POOR FORM. HECK A SLICKTRICK HAS A 1 1/8 DIAMETER AND IT IS OPEN ALL THE TIME.
ALTHOUGH, DON'T GET ME WRONG I HAVE EFFECTIVELY KILLED DEER WITH MECHANICALS AND IF THEY STOPPED MAKING SLICKTRICKS TOMORROW I WOULD HAVE MY ARROWS TIPPED WITH A CERTAIN MECHANICAL.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts