The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you guys hunt grey fox in the western counties? even NW like erie or mercer?

·
Registered
754 Posts
I have never in my life seen a grey here in 2d or 1a, always reds and yote. I am sure they are out there I just have never seen one.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea thats what i suspected, I went out in butler tonite... had a group of coyotes howling back to my female coy deep howls and long howl both female. I was surprised in a way. Iv done most of my hunting in beaver with good luck, but i wanted a new area and thats what i got. I could not get them closer than 300y but i heard several coming randomly in other directions, i was in a latter stand.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
LOTS of grays in my corner of 2D. Actually saw one last night in the headlights.

I usually run about a 50-50 split reds to grays when I'm trapping.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've seen four so far this year calling. But my dad sees a lot of reds on his way to work and back. I'm convinced there is a good number of them both at least in my area.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I called in a gray in about 2 weeks ago and caught a gray 3 days ago in on my trap line. All within 20 minutes of Indiana, PA.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Indiana county has alot of nice animals, I was told by a freind who went to school there, she said they spotlighted bear a couple time just messin around, i wouldnt be surprised. I just havnt seen one near me. All I hear or see are coyotes. I would like to get in a fox area i feel like they would be more productive. not that coyotes are a problem with me but i go out enought without many kills. Although last year i did get four in 1a.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Used to do good around Armstrong county but last 2 years has been slow .

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Iv got my trial camera out all the time with bait such as leftover pheasant parts andd squirels, rabbit carcases if i cant eat them. all i see is raccoons and possum, there are atleast several coyotes in the valley behing my house, i live in 2b and i remeber seeing foxes when i was a kid. just cant get a picture.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I started this question to soon, I had never seen a grey fox in my area ever, but tonite i saw a road killed grey infont of rahal on 19 in wexford on the shoulder it was deffinitly a grey fox.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts