The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past 2 months I have been feeding a family of 4 grey fox 2 pups a mom and a dad..This is in my yard with me observing up close to the point where I was feeding the pups.. I made dirt holes and scent posts with every type of lure I own from leggets to dobbins and everything in between.. Learned alot from this, they ate every type of food i put out, many days completley ignore any type of scent I had out very rarely marked the area with pee even when i had scent posts with just urine..Very different approaches to bait from the pups to adults especially the male...The one bait which drove them completley nuts was an egg broken and put down hole they dug the hole insanely to get at it, more so than any lure i used, I learned alot from them and I am still feeding them and have no plans on trapping them, if you have any questions about this post them,, and i will answer Pez

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
try bacon grease poured into a hole.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do have some descent pics of them... I only used red fox urine .One thing learned for sure was I see why alot of juvenile fox are caught they show none of the wariness of the older fox especially the male, they would charge into a set much like a coon. I have tried a wide variety of foods from donuts to pizza.. I did use bacon not the grease which i may try tonite. When all 4 fox are here together there is alot of vocalization from them only when all of them are here though... Pez

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
What commercial lures did you find attractive to the adults?How did they approach your lures;straight on, from the side ect..?Nothing like the foxes themselves teaching you an us

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The pups would come straight in no hesitation. They would usually get the bait and sit right on top of the set and eat it. The Adults always worked the set from the front even when I had no backing they would circle the set sniffing heavily and enter very slowly, Once they got the bait out or stick with the lure on it they would take off with it back down the hill or a good bit away form the set and eat it..Thats y I found a liquid bait or like is said the broken egg down the hole worked best kept them there the longest,, especially the egg.. Leggets probaly was the best of comercial lures...The male was definetly the most cautious of the 4.. They are still coming everynight not all 4 together .. trying to decide on what to feed them tonite I took some phots of them but never videoed them which I should of Pez

·
Registered
537 Posts
That is invaluable info, something that you could never learn from a book. Learn as much as you can because it will help you in the long run.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Thought the info about the cracked egg in the dirt hole was interesting enough to give this old post a "bump".

·
Registered
325 Posts
Coincidentally, my best performing home made lure this year was made from a cultured egg base..... And it was good on all K-9s. I fondly call "Final Forgiveness"

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Been using whole eggs for years...put down the hole and crack the top with a trowel. My favorite attractor for a reluctant fox.

·
Registered
325 Posts
All of the above and the coyotes liked it too. I don't specifically target coons much but they found their way into enough of my K9 sets this year.

·
Registered
157 Posts
PEZ.Try moving the area where you feed them and see if the young foxes start to be more cautious. Most likely because they are young they have learned that nothing will happen to them cause they have been eating there for a while with no bad results.I would almost bet if you change something( even just set a white bucket there by where you feed ) the young will start to exhabit more of a wary aproach.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts