The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an appointment at the VA in Greensburg this morning, I stopped at Gander Mountain on my way home. They have four Mosin-Nagant 91/30 rifles in the rack for about $175.00 each. I know the price is a little on the high side. They also had one of the cheap Remington rifles with the gray stock used in 3006 for under $250.00 Just passing the information on.

·
Registered
300 Posts
The Mosin can be had around $100. As for the Remington (model 770). IMHO its garbage. No disrespect to Remington and the quality firearms they've produced in the past, but they dropped the ball in a big way with the 770. I would rather cut it up and turn it for scrap than trust it in the hands of loved ones. Just my two Cent

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Both statements are very true, However In the last couple years I have not seen a Mosin on any of the forums for less than $150.00. This Remington is junk in my opinion as well. However as I said I posted these as information only.
I also see used Hi points pistols, on the forums selling for new prices. And for some reason they sell. Here again some guys love them, personally I would rather have a sling shot.
There are two reasons anyone would want the Mosin or Rem, a collector, or they can not afford anything better.
Personally I am a collector of old military rifles. As well as several Mausers I also have a very nice Mosin 91/30 I know I paid too much for, but I did not want an abused piece of junk.
I have an ad on here for a Mosin M-44. J&G are selling them in VG condition for $199.00. So you would think one could be found for $150.00, private sale. However this is not the case, All the replies I have received for my ad have been $225.00 to $300.00.
I am not knocking anyone for trying to make a buck. But the days of the $80.00 Mosin or Hi-point pistols or for that matter most any cheap gun are in the past.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I completely understand and respect what your post was for. I was giving my opinion on the 770 in case someone with limited knowledge came around. IMHO, Ruger American and Savage Axis are the best 2 choices. In the 250~300 range.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Widener's has Mosin 91/30's for 120 bucks.

True however if you do not have an FFL or C&R now you need to add $30.00 to $50.00 for the use of a dealers. Then add $20.00 for shipping. Now the $120.00 rifle is at best a $170.00 rifle.

True if you buy from GM you will have sales tax and FFL, however most deales charge much less if you are buying from them. I believe my last FFL from Dunham was less than $10.00.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts