The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posted from the Observer-Reporter newspaper.:

WAYNESBURG - The Greene County sheriff's office will be implementing a new process to issue and renew permits to carry firearms.
By law, the sheriff has the right to take as long as 45 days to issue a license to carry a concealed weapon. Usually, the process has taken only about 20 minutes.

To ensure the safety of all Greene County residents, however, the process will be changed beginning June 1. The new process will take about two to three weeks once the applicant submits an application package.

"This is being done in order to conduct the various background investigations needed to ensure the individual can legally carry a firearm," said Robin Ketchem, sheriff's office captain.

"We're trying to make the process as simple as possible, but also allow ourselves time to be thorough in our investigations," she said.
The office also will now require that a 2-by-2 inch passport-size photograph of the applicant be attached to the application and that two reference questionnaires be completed by references the applicant lists on the application.

New regulations require the photograph. In regard to the questionnaire, the office in the past has contacted the references or has required references to contact the office before a permit was issued.

The office will accept application packages from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday. Fees remain unchanged. With the application, the applicant must pay a $5 processing fee; the remainder of the permit fee, $20 will be required at the time of issuance. Fees must be paid in cash.

For information, call the sheriff's office at 724-852-5218.

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
I like it. It gives law enforcement an opportunity to make sure that persons who should not be carrying a gun under the guise of legal process are taken out of the process. And, I hope, paid a visit relative to their attempt to do so. In addition it takes away an avenue that the antis have exploited by saying the process is nothing more than a rubber stamp.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
That's what I'm thinking RD. If they are in fact doing a MORE in depth check than they were doing in 20 minutes then it makes sense and I agree with jimsdad. However, if they're are just adding time but doing the same checks I'd say it's a crock just to appease someone while having no real benefit.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
It takes less than a day to do a criminal background check. This guy is just making it difficult for people to get a license to carry. You can buy an handgun and be in and out with gun in hand in less than 30 minutes, there is no reason to drag it out for three weeks. Sounds like they need a new Sheriff come election time.

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
>Sounds like they need a new Sheriff come election time.

He has been the Sheriff for a long time.

>said Robin Ketchem, sheriff's office captain.

Funny, same last name as the sheriff. Wonder if it's a relative?

I had a face to face with this guy a number of years ago. JERK!

I am a WV resident who holds a valid WV license to carry. PA WILL issue to non-residents and not being a resident is not a valid reason to denie the license. I had contacted the PA AG's office about the issue and had a letter in hand stating this.

I drove to Waynesburg to fill out the application for the PA permit. The clerk in the Sheriffs office refused to give me an application. I said that I wanted to speak with the sheriff and she went and got him. I showed him the letter and he agreed with me that non-residents are allowed to obtain a PA permit but flat out said "too bad, take me to court". In fact he challenged me to do so. Said that he did not care what the AG office said and could care less what the law said. Told me to go back to the GA's office and get them to give me a permit.

The Fayette County Sheriif's office was much nicer.

Now a days PA honors WV license and vs verca.

WV Gino

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
jimsdad said:
I like it. It gives law enforcement an opportunity to make sure that persons who should not be carrying a gun under the guise of legal process are taken out of the process. And, I hope, paid a visit relative to their attempt to do so. In addition it takes away an avenue that the antis have exploited by saying the process is nothing more than a rubber stamp.
You might not like it if you are on the receiving end of a threat from someone intent on killing you or your family.

And, the anti's claiming it nothing more than a rubber stamp is bull.. A NICS check can be processed in 30 seconds! A National Agency Check (all that is needed for a U.S. Gov't Secret clearance) can be completed in less than an hour with networked state and federal govt systems.

This Sheriff is overstepping his authority. He needs to be booted out of office by the voters in Greene county.

Best regards, Glenn

·
Super Moderator
12,791 Posts
Sounds like he has been sheriff too long. Now he thinks he can make his own rules. He needs to know voters rule....

·
Registered
25,510 Posts
While the sheriff may be a jerk, the law allows them to take far more time than the 20 minutes, that some here have talked about, when getting their LTCF.

Sheriffs doing things "their way", is precisely why the issuing procedures are being looked into and new guidelines will probably be issued this year.

While it may be cool for you guys with the "20 minute" sheriff, it ain't cool for anyone else, especially if they have to hear what WVGino did, about a sheriff not caring what the Attorney General says.

Reciprocity agreements and responsibilty for the LTCF process, comes from the AG's office...not from each sheriff, according to their whims.

It is because of such complaints to the AG and the legislature about such sheriffs, that the rules are being standardized and it's long overdue. There will also be no tolerance for individual sheriffs dreaming up their own procedures, either.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Bearklr said:
That's what I'm thinking RD. If they are in fact doing a MORE in depth check than they were doing in 20 minutes then it makes sense and I agree with jimsdad. However, if they're are just adding time but doing the same checks I'd say it's a crock of [censored] just to appease someone while having no real benefit.
By the time they get a hold of your elementary, high school( if one made it that far ) to check for over-due library books it may take 45 days.

·
Registered
25,510 Posts
http://paopencarry.org/pa-firearm-law-ss6109

d: Sheriff to conduct investigation. -- The sheriff to whom the application is made shall investigate the applicant's record of criminal convictions, shall investigate whether or not the applicant is under indictment for or has ever been convicted of a crime punishable by imprisonment exceeding one year, shall investigate whether the applicant's character and reputation are such that the applicant will not be likely to act in a manner dangerous to public safety and shall investigate whether the applicant would be precluded from receiving a license under subsection (e)(1) or section 6105(h) (relating to persons not to possess, use, manufacture, control, sell or transfer firearms) and shall conduct a criminal background, juvenile delinquency or mental health check following the procedures set forth in section 6111 (relating to firearm ownership).

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Ya' good point John, but I am thinking that the volume the sheriff does and the fact that his shop is a gatekeeper of sorts opens them up for a lot of finger pointing if they don't get it right. So, I don't have a problem if he crosses a T or dots an I with the assurance that no errors are made. But, if it is a dodge to slow down the process or prevent / discourage legitamate carry requests then that's a different thing and he needs to be recalled and given the boot.

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Calm down Glenn. Lets have a civil discussion without you bringing in make-believe. And, don't hoist your concerns on me. I can take care of my family and myself and if I do it with or without a gun is none of your business.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Jim, I am a calm guy, and I don't believe in make believe...

My scenario wherein a young lady being harassed by the ex-boyfriend or husband and deciding to get a permit for self protection does not need the Sheriff holding up her application for weeks just to flex his authority.

Nor does the target shooter or hunter who decides to buy a new gun for the weekend shoot or hunt need to be unnecessarily delayed for spite.

The Sheriff is imposing his own stall tactics. I wonder what his motivation is? Did he issue a permit to someone that came back to haunt him?

And did you pick up on his plan to get two character references for each application and require them to fill out a questionnaire? Plus, it appears he reserves the right to contact the references and quiz them personally.

I don't know about you, but it might take me a while to get two friends to fill out a questionnaire and appear in person and sign papers that I can be trusted with a gun.. Not implying I cannot be trusted or that I have ever had a run in with the law, but in today's litigious society and all of the bad karma around carrying most people would be very nervous about sticking their neck out..

I can understand the Sheriff's annoyance if he has been burned, but just like so many other bureaucratic processes that have been intentionally muddled just to frustrate law abiding citizens his actions are out of line.

Just my opinion, nothing personal.
Best regards, Glenn
By the way, you have no idea how frustrating bureaucratic processes can be. I live in Maryland. To buy a handgun takes an act of Congress. And forget about a carry permit.. it ain't going to happen. Don't you guys in PA let anybody chip away and erode your heritage.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Too bad several of you on this site do not know the sheriff in Greene Co. I went this summer to get a permit and his office staff was very cooperative. Sheriff Ketchem goes to the schools in the county throughout the year and puts on different types of programs for the students. He is anything but anti-gun!!! If anything, he is trying to make it safer for the people of this county. Any time an individual or group needs help he is there to help and gives up his time to do it. He is highly thought of in this Co. and I feel it's a a great injustice to criticize him when most of you have no idea who he is or what he's trying to do! We need more people like him throughout our state!!!! I hope he keeps the good work up!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
7,171 Posts
"We're trying to make the process as simple as possible, but also allow ourselves time to be thorough in our investigations," she said.
The office also will now require that a 2-by-2 inch passport-size photograph of the applicant be attached to the application and that two reference questionnaires be completed by references the applicant lists on the application

is adding your personal requirments to a state document even legal ?

·
Registered
345 Posts
I agree with Big Buck i renewed my permit last year after forgetting about it and it had expired it only took minntues to get it renewed Ive never had a problem there

1 - 20 of 28 Posts