The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of a friend brought me his Lyman GP with a powerbelt lodged in the barrel. NO idea how he managed it but it was really stuck. It was an aerotip and he had already tried pulling it with the screw with no luck. I tried 150lbs of air...nothing. I broke 2 screws trying to pull it. I soaked it with various oils etc. NO luck.

I remember seeing someone here mention a zirc fitting and a grease gun. The local auto parts did not have the exact thread but I got one that threaded in and gave it a try. NO problem, pushed it right out.

I was trying to avoid this method due to the clean up. That was surprisingly easy. I put a patch on the rod and pushed it out the touch hole. Added a couple more patches and got it pretty clean before a thorough rinse with very hot waters followed but a half can of Gun Scrubber degreaser. Lubed it all back up and sent it back to him.

Made me look like a purty smart feller.

Felt guilty though and wanted to admit to getting the idea here.

To whoever made that post......Thanks!!

·
Banned
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I love a challenge!! U better kill sumthin this year!!

·
Registered
241 Posts
You're welcome. I ran into that many years ago when a friend managed to get a PRB stuck, really stuck. Zerk and a pneumatic grease gun, popped the ball out with some gusto. I posted that here and on several other forums because at some point, everyone is going to end up with a stuck something. I get at least 2-3 dozen clients in my shop every year, jags and the bullets wrapped in a plastic condom are the most common "stuck real good" obstructions.

I do stress the warning - keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction especially if there's a powder charge in the bore but also because the air trapped between the obstruction and grease/oil column will be compressed and can fire the obstruction as a dangerous projectile.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts