The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
13,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm gonna get some stands down today, and put inside. yeah, it's wintery, but what else you gonna do? i used to leave some out all year, but after a close call, i get them all in now. a cable rusted on one of my stands a few years ago, and i climbed in it. after 5 minutes, it simply collapsed, no grunts, groans, wiggles, shifting, no nothing, it just collapsed. after that i started checking the cables on all my stands, and found a few that looked suspect. right at the ends near the loop or teardrop that attaches to the platform or the part that hangs on the tree. many times these cables are painted or rubber coated, but they miss the very end near the loop. get 'em down & check 'em, beats getting a surprise next fall.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
I'm with you Yellodog, I always pull my stands and store in my basement. I use alot of lifelines on my stands and i don't want that arbor rope out any longer than i have to.

·
Registered
13,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i been wanting to paint some of those black stands, straps, & ladders. they stick out like a sore thumb, i'm thinking a dark olive green with some light & dark lines to break them up will do the trick. lots of time for the paint smells to go away if i get r dun now.

·
Super Moderator
12,803 Posts
Took my stands down before gun season...not to give out any clues. I store them until mid Summer when I get them out test them, touch up the paint, replace the rusty bolts and inspect all things...good advise.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Not to go against what you guys are sayin here, I too take my stands down after the late season and store them till summer when they go back up but I bought some cheap ladder stands at Dicks this year and wanted to put them up and keep them up permently, of coarse I would check them before each season, it is about 3 miles back into a gamelands I like to hunt. and was wondering if there was anything you guys put on your stands to keep them from rusting over the year?
Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
pagamehunter94 said:
Not to go against what you guys are sayin here, I too take my stands down after the late season and store them till summer when they go back up but I bought some cheap ladder stands at Dicks this year and wanted to put them up and keep them up permently, of coarse I would check them before each season, it is about 3 miles back into a gamelands I like to hunt. and was wondering if there was anything you guys put on your stands to keep them from rusting over the year?
Thanks for the help.
3 miles? Really? Wow. What you are doing is against the law.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Yeah there 3 miles! Actually it aint against the law smart one as long as they are not locked to the tree it is legal which they will not be locked. Even confirmed it with the warden, if somebody wants to lug them 3 miles out be my guest I'd only be loosing $20

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
pagamehunter94 said:
Yeah there 3 miles! Actually it aint against the law smart one as long as they are not locked to the tree it is legal which they will not be locked. Even confirmed it with the warden, if somebody wants to lug them 3 miles out be my guest I'd only be loosing $20
Wow, so whether or not the stand is locked is what makes it legal or illegal? I never heard something so silly in my life. $20 for a treestand? That's real cheap.

Just curious, how long does it take you to walk to your stand in the morning that is so deep in the woods?

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
pagamehunter94 said:
the 15' lookout reg priced @ $50 or $60 i think but with the coupons and $10 reward certificates i had i wound up getting 2 for $ 20 each
Wow good deal. I think I paid $79 for my lookout delux. The cheapest I saw mine for was down to $69.

·
Registered
227 Posts
yeah i have one of those too but wanted cheap inexpensive stands to leave way back. if something happens to them yeah well.
what im doing is perfectly legal according to the warden i talked to

·
Super Moderator
12,803 Posts
Not going against what you are saying here either, but so much of what you said jumps out at as being ..... somewhat questionable???? Sorry.....But.

Three miles ...really...walking at 3 miles an hour on LEVEL GROUND not toting anything, in the day light takes about 1 hour and 12 minutes. How did you determine the 3 miles? How long does your walk take? Level? http://www.walkingenglishman.com/walktime.aspx

I would be wet in sweat....I do not know where you hunt, but 3 miles in a long way in the woods and most points 3 miles back are usually accessible from a shorter distance from another road or angle??

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Treestands</span>: It is unlawful while hunting or preparing to hunt to: 3) tree stands on public land can be placed out not more than two weeks before and must be remove two weeks after the deer season. P 31 Digest.

Would you supply me with the name of the PGC Officer which gave you permission so I may refer to him just in case mine will not allow me to leave my unlocked tree stand on the game lands after the regulated time? I might need some leverage for this....

Do you go back in the three miles and remove the tree stand(s) when it/they are no longer used or safe? How long does that walk take?

$20 ladder stands sounds more like a parking lot price. But if from a retail store my hat is off to you one great price when the most economical ones list around $100. To break even the retailer must have an 80% mark up....I doubt $20 would cover the transportation from the mfg.?

Hope you also got a great deal on a deer cart.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Why the rant B2H? Seems the guys intent is harmless although yes I would question the legality as well. As for the three mile hike in an hour twenty quite plausable. I know I'd be disappointed if it took me that long. As for the OP smart post I agree fully! I've had stands tampered with even on private land so I dont trust any I haven't inspected.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Got my stands down last weekend,

Took the time to go through each ratchet strap (over 20) and use a wire brush to remove grime and rust and then WD-40's them well. I also sprayed the inside of all of the cable locks as they get sticky in the elements.

Get'em out now as there are plenty out there that do their shopping after those 2 weeks are over on state land!

·
Super Moderator
12,803 Posts
Sorry not my intent to give the guy a hard time. There were just too many questionable items to let slide. One being someone could be miss led resulting into another paying a fine for leave a stand in the woods when not permitted by the law.

My other concern: 1)If they don't think enough of a ladder stand when it is in good shape to carry it out of the woods, are they responsible enough to carry the worthless ladder stand out of the woods? 2) Are the stands being left as junk or for another person to find and attempt to use it and get hurt?

·
Registered
13,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
we left a couple ladder stands out. the bottom of the ladder got plugged with mud and trapped water. between the rust & freezing it split the legs near the bottom. we drill drain holes now & set the ladder on a peice of board.

·
Registered
389 Posts
How did you get 5 deer? There are no DMAP permits on SGL's and you can only get a max of 3 doe licenses plus your buck tag and that would only be in a few WMU's.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts