The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, we had a field scouted out for what I consider the first day of my goose season. We've been seeing a few hundred geese hitting it up in the morning and thought it would be worth a try. Not wanting to take the trailers down through the muddy field to pick up we decided to set up at the top of the field and hope to pull them into the decoys. Obviously, even plans you hope will work out seldom do. Needless to say the geese started flying in droves and in perfect size flocks. after about 20 minutes of constant flocks of 20-30 birds rolling into the field and landing at the other end we decided we had to do something and do it fast. I left the blind and ran to get the 300 or so live birds out of the field while the other five guys quickly changed the spread around. After about 15 minutes of quiet the birds started rolling in again. Without the live birds in the field any longer and with the spread changed around we were able to close the deal on a few flocks and scratch out a respectable 11 geese. As we were cleaning up the local WCO pulled up to check us out and we chatted for a while, he was a really nice guy and I had a laugh at the two youngsters we had with us as I could see their nerves from a mile away lol. Well, it's finally good to see a decent number of geese flying around the area and getting the kids on some birds.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We had the spread set up for wind out of the east and had the bulk of our dekes to our left and a pocket in front of us (the field required us to hunt a cross wind). The wind was supposed to be coming right over the spread into the pocket which would have allowed the geese to land from our right to our left into the pocket. Unfortunately the wind slowly changed to blow out of the West. The first flock that came in landed behind our spread to the left out of range in a direction we could not safely shoot. Basically they landed into the wind like they should of but with the change in wind direction the "pocket" was now the area on the far side of our spread and not the pocket in front of us. That pretty much filled up that smaller portion of the field and the following flocks dropped away from us into the wind. After chasing out the birds in the lower field we quickly moved the larger portion of the spread to our right so the west wind would blow over the spread and into the pocket. This allowed the next groups to land into the wind with plenty of room right into the pocket in front of us.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Great job. I hear Doug isn't to happy with the river lately. It's been bad. If you dealt with WCO Velapuk (spelling) he seems to be a good guy. I spoke with him at work a few times.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I just spoke to Doug last night and he said he's probably gonna stay off the river until more birds show up. He was out three days last week and I was out with him once and we saw next to nothing out there. There's some buffleheads here and there and a rogue mallard every now and then but that's about it. Then I hear guys saying they were in the boro getting limits and we don't hear a single shot coming from down there so I don't know what to believe. He'll be scouting pretty good from here on out so if I hear of any showing up I'll let you know.

It was WCO Velapuk who checked us and we talked for quite awhile, a great guy. He did make my day though when I found out they burnt the crew that was hunting across from the Hempfield rec center. I mentioned it a few years ago and got laughed at by Sanderson and that group as they tried to make a joke out of my post. I guess they weren't laughing too much when the WCO walked out of the gym to have a little chat with one of them.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I am glad you guys had some luck! I wonder if it was you guys we heard shooting all morning. We saw plenty of birds and had them come in but never finish. We tried changing the spread and the blinds as well. The birds got closer, just never committed. I am glad they got the guys trying to hunt across from the rec center. There are appropriate places to hunt those birds, but not there.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It may have been us you heard shooting although I'm not sure where you were. The WCO said he heard us all morning and that he checked a few other guys that day as well. Those guys at the rec center were actually there "guiding" people lol. Can you imagine paying for that hunt. Apparently they blasted birds all morning and just left them sit crippled all day on the retention pond by the bank for all the world to see and didn't pick them up till sometime in the afternoon. What a guide service.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Nice!

Had AT LEAST 500 birds in the air all morning Saturday, all residents, in flocks ranging from 8 birds to large groups of 2 or 3 flocks of 50 total birds. Not a single flock would commit to the spread, but would turn in slightly, look like they were going to work and then pull off and head west. Sunday morning, my arms were sore from all the flagging.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
LOL...I know what you mean, that's why I let my buddy do the flagging. It seems as though it's really tough to pull the birds off the X right now and I'm surprised by how many want to feed in grass instead of corn. I just checked another one of our farms yesterday evening and there were a few hundred birds there too but they were all in the rye grass and not one bird in the cut corn.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Feeling your pain! We NEED some cold weather and preferably about 6" of the white stuff to go with it. I know for a fact that those birds were going to graze. Still had to try though. Just gets a bit frustrating when every year for the last three has gotten worse than the last. I normally hunt AT LEAST 35-55 days of goose season and this year, with all the blanks, I gotta say, it's been tough to even want to get out of bed at 4:00 am, let alone look at the thermometer and see 45 degree temps the third week of December and still go out and hunt. Haven't put in near as many days this year as I usually do and I'm thinking I gonna refuse to even bother until we get some weather here...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts