The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A great break in the weather for a rabbit hunt and my son was able to join me. On our first chase of the morning the dogs were running one pretty hard. They were heading right towards me and I was scanning for the rabbit when I see this big Yote trotting right for the dogs. He was about 50 yds and I swatted him hard with a load of high brass 6s and he got out of there in a hurry. This is the third time over the years that I have had yotes come in to the dogs when they are baying on a rabbit. The other 2 times were in February. I think they get pretty territorial as the breeding season approaches. After that excitement we had some really long chases on rabbits. We hit 2 spots and got 3 at each spot. Pic is my favorite dog Zip. He is 11 now and getting all white in face. He hunted hard today and so did the other 2 younger ones. My son said he wanted a pic of the 2 old timers.
Snow Sky Plant Carnivore Hunting

·
Registered
9,255 Posts
Congrats ! Great picture !

Reactions: Whaler

·
Registered
10,222 Posts
I love the excitement of the chase. Cant remember the last time I carried a gun on a rabbit hunt.

·
Registered
10,222 Posts
I let the others carry guns and do the shooting, I'm just happy to walk along.

·
Registered
907 Posts
A great break in the weather for a rabbit hunt and my son was able to join me. On our first chase of the morning the dogs were running one pretty hard. They were heading right towards me and I was scanning for the rabbit when I see this big Yote trotting right for the dogs. He was about 50 yds and I swatted him hard with a load of high brass 6s and he got out of there in a hurry. This is the third time over the years that I have had yotes come in to the dogs when they are baying on a rabbit. The other 2 times were in February. I think they get pretty territorial as the breeding season approaches. After that excitement we had some really long chases on rabbits. We hit 2 spots and got 3 at each spot. Pic is my favorite dog Zip. He is 11 now and getting all white in face. He hunted hard today and so did the other 2 younger ones. My son said he wanted a pic of the 2 old timers.
How many dogs were you running? I have had coyote encounters 3 times in 5 years when running a single beagle.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How many dogs were you running? I have had coyote encounters 3 times in 5 years when running a single beagle.
The last 2 times we were running 3 beagles and a single large yote came in. The first time it happened to me was about 8 years ago and that day I was running 1 dog and at least 2 yotes came in and I heard another one. That group didn't even leave right away at my gun shot or my yells at them.

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
A great break in the weather for a rabbit hunt and my son was able to join me. On our first chase of the morning the dogs were running one pretty hard. They were heading right towards me and I was scanning for the rabbit when I see this big Yote trotting right for the dogs. He was about 50 yds and I swatted him hard with a load of high brass 6s and he got out of there in a hurry. This is the third time over the years that I have had yotes come in to the dogs when they are baying on a rabbit. The other 2 times were in February. I think they get pretty territorial as the breeding season approaches. After that excitement we had some really long chases on rabbits. We hit 2 spots and got 3 at each spot. Pic is my favorite dog Zip. He is 11 now and getting all white in face. He hunted hard today and so did the other 2 younger ones. My son said he wanted a pic of the 2 old timers. View attachment 179701
What an awesome picture...couple old friends getting it done. :applause:

·
Registered
18,659 Posts
Congrats on a successful hunt! too bad you didn't get the coyote. We've had several encounters with coyote stalking our beagles. One actually grabbed one once, had to take it to the vet for the bite wounds.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Congrats on a great hunt! Very good picture!

·
Registered
907 Posts
The last 2 times we were running 3 beagles and a single large yote came in. The first time it happened to me was about 8 years ago and that day I was running 1 dog and at least 2 yotes came in and I heard another one. That group didn't even leave right away at my gun shot or my yells at them.
Yeah, it's pretty nerve racking experience when the coyotes are targeting the dogs. BTW, I agree with others here about that being a great picture. It's nice to see the old dog still having fun.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah, it's pretty nerve racking experience when the coyotes are targeting the dogs. BTW, I agree with others here about that being a great picture. It's nice to see the old dog still having fun.
Zip was pretty stiff today and had a sore paw. May of over-did it with him yesterday. I cut their walk short today. Its a shame how quickly dogs age. I could never not take him hunting though.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Zip is a great beagle name, pet that old boy once for me Whaler. Dad had a dog named Duke, another named Cubby, both incredible to see work. I'm gonna build a kennel and get some beagles this year, been too long since I've been rabbit hunting.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts