The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So far every time We've been able to get out "mostly after work" we have had some action.

Just wanted to say Thank You, to the PGC, GREAT JOB!!!

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
This is by-far-and-away hands down the best pheasant season I have ever seen. Usually we are lucky to see a single bird on opening day. This year, the six of us limited out by noon.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Not to take anything away from the PGC's stocking program, which is great right now, but wouldn't it be wonderful if there were this many wild birds once again? We wouldn't have to worry about stocking schedules or whether the PGC truck hit a certain field. We could just go find (or look for, at least) ringnecks wherever and whenever the season permitted.

Just a thought. And a little nod got the work that Lynn A and others with PF are doing.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
grousechaser said:
Not to take anything away from the PGC's stocking program, which is great right now, but wouldn't it be wonderful if there were this many wild birds once again? We wouldn't have to worry about stocking schedules or whether the PGC truck hit a certain field. We could just go find (or look for, at least) ringnecks wherever and whenever the season permitted.

Just a thought. And a little nod got the work that Lynn A and others with PF are doing.
Those were the days!!!

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
spur said:
This is by-far-and-away hands down the best pheasant season I have ever seen. Usually we are lucky to see a single bird on opening day. This year, the six of us limited out by noon.
Every one we talk to feels the same way. There are a couple of old timers at work, and they say it's the best in a long time.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I went out this afternoon with the dog and we got out limit ran into a few guys out and they were talking about how big the birds were and the numbers. Great season.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
well I`m not having a good season this year.

hardly seeing any birds in the part of the state, plus what I am seeing, I KEEP MISSING !!!

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Not doing to bad here either but with they would limit the hours from like 8 to 4, then they could stock the night before and give the birds a break from them getting shot right off the truck.

·
Registered
239 Posts
BRN2RUN said:
So far every time We've been able to get out "mostly after work" we have had some action.

Just wanted to say Thank You, to the PGC, GREAT JOB!!!
+1 it has been a blast so far. They deserve a big thanks on a job well done.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I agree great season so far, I saw and or harvested birds everyday I've been out except for one. More importantly, I see people out hunting pheasant again.

·
Registered
16,456 Posts
I understand getting the most out of the product, but I would really like to see them put birds out on farms open to hunting, like they did in the 70's. Gamelands tend to be such a fiasco at times. Hunting them in in old, reverted farmstead hedgerows would bring back some memories of the Pheasant hunting in my youth. Maybe the shale revenues will allow that to happen again.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I like to see Sunday hunting, since I am working 6 days and that is the only day off. I have not even made it out this year.....work...work ...work

·
Super Moderator
13,733 Posts
So far it has been a great season for my dog and I and I expect it will continue that way throughout the season.

Since the beginning of the Youth Pheasant Season we have had 15 youth out over the dog. They shot many boxes of shell and got 12 pheasants. One lad shot an entire box of shells without hitting a bird but he had a lot fun anyway. I think I may have actually got him to believe that we give them shells without BBs for their first hunt.

Total for all hunters so far we have hunted 35 hours, had 157 birds up and harvested 32 of them. A lot of the birds run further than most rabbits and only take wing once they have managed to get out of range of the hunters. But, that saves birds for another day and helps to keep hunting them both interesting and challenging.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
When traveling to a local game lands last week we passed the stocking truck letting out birds. We stopped to see how many birds they released at that stop. I was amazed at the number of birds released. They just kept coming out of the crates. There were not many hunters around that day either. That many birds should provide multiple days of hunter opportunities. The PGC has really made pheasant hunting much better with increased numbers and increased stockings. Came from a week in ND 2weeks ago and after hunting in PA last week, I couldn't tell much difference. Never thought I'd say that. The PGC delivers a good quality bird. Anybody who things it's like hunting chickens hasn't done it for a while.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Lynnappelman said:
When traveling to a local game lands last week we passed the stocking truck letting out birds. We stopped to see how many birds they released at that stop. I was amazed at the number of birds released. They just kept coming out of the crates. There were not many hunters around that day either. That many birds should provide multiple days of hunter opportunities. The PGC has really made pheasant hunting much better with increased numbers and increased stockings. Came from a week in ND 2weeks ago and after hunting in PA last week, I couldn't tell much difference. Never thought I'd say that. The PGC delivers a good quality bird. Anybody who things it's like hunting chickens hasn't done it for a while.
I often wondered how pheasant hunting in PA compared to other states with wild birds. Good to know that the PA birds put up a good challenge for hunters and their dogs. I know that so far the season has been a good one. I spent yesterday on the gamelands and had almost the whole place to myself. I saw one group of 3 hunters and one group of 2 hunters. The dogs mangaged to put up 12 roosters and 2 hens on the day with my father in law taking two. He enjoyed himself very much and was impressed by the birds he bagged.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I am not old enough to remember the good old days but I can't imagine them being any bettter than this. We have seen birds every day sometimes dozens. My buddys labs are worn out.
THANK YOU PGC!

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Went out this morning with my dad for a hunt on a local farm. The cows moved in on the field & hedgerow we wanted to hunt. We knew most of the pheasants were down in there but we couldn't do anything about it. So we made the best of it and hunted the upper hillside field. My young dog worked hard and tracked where a few birds must've run out when the cows moved in. An hour or so into it and we had a wild flush on a cockbird. I've been having real trouble with my shooting but this time I followed the bird out with my eyes and instinctively mounted the gun, leading the bird and shot. No aiming, no thinking about it, just have my eyes on the bird, mount & squeeze the trigger. It was a great feeling to see the bird fall. Then the dog went into the hollow, found the bird & made a nice retrieve back to me. Didn't find any other birds but I was happy nonetheless.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Lynnappelman said:
r

I completely agree about the quality pheasants the PGC is putting out. In the past I had commonly referred to our stocked birds as chickens. This year the birds are great. I hunted Friday and today. Both days we limited. But we worked the birds like Dakota wilds. We hunted swampy areas, we setup blockers in corn, etc. The birds flushed fast and flew strong.

Still not like wild pheasants. But close and without the 24 hour drive. Again thanks PGC.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Gentlemen,
Can you imagine what the Pheasant hunting in Pa was like during the 50's, 60's & 70's when we had more Pheasants taken in Pa than they did out west. You just got a small taste of what Pa hunters have been robbed of.
Glad you guys are getting into some great Pheasant hunting!
Pine Creek/Dave

1 - 20 of 28 Posts