The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So far 2 reds on the ground. Saw 3 more reds. Coyotes are just starting to howl. Ill load pictures when I get home. Keep at em!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Glad someone had a good night. This small storm seems to have animals bedding down tight. Did 5 stands tonight and didn't hear or see anything except i did hear 2 owls. Didn't even see a single deer. That's why they call it hunting I guess.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've had a rough start so far. Went out about 8 times so far and tonight is the first night bringing something home. Had a couple close calls but just couldn't get a shot on anything.

Started around 12 (wanted to get out like 830) and was flurrying still. Hit the double cottontail a few times and had a fox barking but wouldn't come in. We hunt off an old striping mine road and have 4-5 spots to set up. Around 130 the snow stopped and we were just packing up to move and I shined the next field quick and saw 2 sets of eyes at ~650yards Hopped in the vehicle and drove down to get a closer look. 2 red fox in the field at 250 yards running away from us. Finally got them to stop at 335yards before entering a patch of woods and I squeezed one off.

Nice head shot. Took a few pictures and drove back down to the main road. Set up on another stand and not even 5 minutes in 2 more came in to another field. It was my buddies turn, hit this one at 157yards.

Saw the 2 that got away with both of our pairs and had another one later in another field but was too far to make an ethical shot. Had 3 coyotes howling around 345 but wouldn't come in so we called it a night.

G

·
Wow...325 yards at night is some amazing shooting...congratulations. What gun/scope/caliber are you shooting. Looks like a nice set up.

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
nice shooting!!!! i need to ask, what exactly are you using for a light to be able to 100% confirm ID on a critter at 650yds

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Gun Spec:
Rem 700 SPS Varmint .243
Bell and Carlson Tactical Medalist stock
SWFA SS 10x42 mil dot
I hand load. Shoot a 95gr vld with 43.7g H4350. I have a Rem700 SPS in .223 that is perfect to hunt with because its light but I feel a lot more comfortable using the .243. The stock made a huge difference in how steady I am but it is a tad heavy to lug around. .243 is used for long range shooting as well(6-800 yards).

As far as seeing 650 yards I have an old spot light from when my dad was a kid?? It has a really tight pencil beam. I also use a $20 hand held black and decker spot light from walmart which suprising works really well, and another old spot light with red lens. Usually use the red lens. I didn't confirm they were fox at 650 until we drove down the road to within 250 but we had just passed through that area previously and there was nothing in the field so we knew what ever it was just showed up. Their eyes lit up pretty well with fresh snow on the ground too. Once we got down to 250 yards I was able to identify them in the scope and my hunting partner ranged the bush line where they were heading. Held 1 mil high and he went down.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts