The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where to start, well I start with last night. The game plan was for me to go check one spot while my 14 year old son check at the house. Well that didn’t happen, he decided he was going to the movies with friends. Then my wife says she wants to go out to eat. Well she doesn’t get down at the gym until 6:00. I told her that she and our 5 year old son were going to go with me after dinner to listen for birds.so after dinner we head to the spot, there is a field across the road from were I hunt. Standing in the field she says there is 14 birds. There is at least 5 gobbles. I knew where they were going. So we pulled in on the property. I herd them fly up. Well I hope they stay there. Morning rolls in and we get up get ready start down the road on time. But I remember that trying to make sure he had everything I forgot ammo for my gun. So we get turned around and grab my ammo. Then off to the promise lands. We get there and get set up. The birds are gobbling non stop. There is 6 hens in the trees in front of us 80 yards. The gobblers are just over the ridge. 6:10 comes and the gobblers are on the ground but the hens aren’t. 6:18 we have a long beard at 25 yards but he catches my son moving and starts danger putting. I thought well there goes that. But it made the others gobble non stop. At 6:27 there is 6 gobblers strutting at 55 yards in front of us and under the hens. The hens fly down and start moving toward us but towards the right. We have one long beard at 30 yards and the others at 45 yards. I asked my son you on him(the one close and to the right). I had to wait for a shot on one of the others and then it came. I told him on 3 we shot. 1,2,3 bang . I’m the only one that shoots. Birds flying everywhere, one flopping. I turn and asked “what happened bud? Why didn’t you shoot? He say “ I didn’t have a shot. O well but next time you need to say something. He said “ I was afraid of spooking them. So I told him that hunting is a lot of learning and we just did some learning. Shot him at 6:50, off to another location to find him one.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
He won't make that mistake again!

Something similar happened with my cousin and I years ago...he shot, I didn't, because I was so focused on watching the bird, I didn't hear him say "on 3, we shoot". Whoops!

Congrats!

·
Premium Member
24,169 Posts
Nice bird congrats!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts