The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I got to camp about 11 pm Thursday night and my buddy had the fire going so camp was warm. Went to turn on the water and not luck must be frozen at the valve. Oh well we can handle two days without water. Got 8-10 inches of snow that night in Potter and by the time we hit the woods at 630 it was still snowing. Walked up the ridge and came across three does feeding away from me. Stalked to within 80 yds got a good rest and missed. Dont know if this has ever happened to anyone else in late season but these deer would only run a little piece up to the next bench and continue to feed. Lets just say that I had three more chances at this group with three more misses. Late in the day I was walking the ridge and peered over the edge and saw a large doe bedded. She stood I took a nice rest and missed about a 75 yd shot. Plenty of snow so I could follow the tracks for long enough to verify clean misses. That was enough for Friday I headed back to camp gave the gun a good cleaning and took a practice shot. Just as suspected gun was on I had a bad case of the flinches. Today we got up earlier headed back to the same ridge. One again I saw a deer moving about the same area as yesterday. Instead of stalking it I decided to out flank it and get ahead of it. While walking the backside of the ridge I came to a point where I was gonna sit and wait for the deer to come my way but there were two deer already there. They broke toward me and then veered to my left at high speed. I was in shock they were both identical looking legal 6 pt bucks. They high tailed it down off the ridge and I did not have the strength to do any more down and ups in the deep snow. I walked 50 yds farther and saw two big does break over the top walk toward me and then head over the side of the hill I was watching. They angled toward me and I figured it was about 60 yds. Big one stopped and I put the iron sights high on the lungs and bang. They both took off down the mountian but the one I shot at had its tail tucked. Found a small amount of hair and just flecks of blood in the snow. Gave it a abit of a wait and found her 80 yds farther down the hill. Big doe dressed weight I would guess at 110-120 lbs. The drag to the creek was like riding a sled. A couple times the deer got ahead of me and took me for a ride down the hill in the snow. It was a great weekend.

·
Banned
900 Posts
Thats what its all about!! Love hunting from a camp!!

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
That's awesome! I've never hunted with the flinter at camp, but I hope that I can next year! Sounds like a lot of fun!

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Awesome year for the majority of us.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Congratulations on the doe. There's absolutely nothing like hunting this time of year with a flintlock. If it was easy, everyone would be doing it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Cool trip to camp. Sounds like you should have some help with all the fun next year!! I'll volunteer to help you... Give me a call..

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
Sounds like a great time Buck. Wheres your place in potter.

BTW I think you get the award for longest time on the board with the fewest posts lol.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ghost,
As you can see by my member date I have been reading these boards for a long time and enjoy reading all the posts and stories. Its like getting the PA Game News without having to pay for it. I kinda got away from the board for a while when it seemed like every post was complaining about the lack of deer or how the Game Commission was messing some thing up. The more I read now it seems like there are still some good folk that like to hunt and enjoy the outdoors. My camp is up Nelson Run. I think you sent me the PM about bear season if I remember correctly. I would love to make this a tradition and have room to sleep 6 in my camp so I may have some openings next year for some decent hard hunting HPA friends.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts