The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What a wrap up to the end of a great archery season. Although I did not fill a tag on a buck, I saw more bucks and total deer and turkey that I ever have in a season and it was rewarding to pattern and get pictures of individual bucks that i got to know over the course of the season (albeit mostly out of bow range) LOL! Today was a great closer. I started the day with a gobbler about 85 yards away in the foodplot and hoping he would close the distance for a shot, as I have been seeing turkeys almost every time I have been out. As I waited for him to get closer I looked over my right shoulder into the creekbed and thought to myself, that looks like a dogs rear end down by the creek around 30 yards. Low and behold it was a beautiful creme colored coyote that I desperately tried to get a bead on. Just as i was about to send a bolt, he dropped into the creekbed and out of sight only to reappear coming my way downwind. He got to within 20 yards facing me and stopped with a tree in between us, and I knew I was busted. He was gone quicker than he appeared. I ended the day with a failed shot at twenty yards on a seven point due to my limb being too close to the base of the tree following the shot!!
After the shot, I remember thinking 'wow, crossbows aren't supposed to kick' followed by the question who just punched me in the face?' Note to self, crossbows do kick when the limb hits a tree on the follow through and jaws are vulnerable. Ice applied as I type!

The hunting day before (Saturday) I saw a few bucks but couldn't get a shot and took a nice rooster pheasant that I stumbled upon with another on my way out for lunch.

·
Registered
12,252 Posts
Foxhound glad you didn't get seriously injured when the limb hit the tree. I have always been worried about doing that. Glad that you saw the positives in the season even though you didn't bag your buck. A pheasant with the crossbow is impressive, and that is a beautiful bird as well.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks C-spot. As I followed the buck around, I kept thinking about the tree as I swung but thought that I was clear from it. Obviously I was not far enough away. As I examined the bark in the tree after the shot, I must have just grazed the bark enough to cause the kick back. Another 1/32 of an inch away and I would have been field dressing a buck. He stood there for enough time to cock the bow again but headed up the ridge as I knocked another bolt! It is a game of inches at times, but I am not upset about it at all. The first thing I did after making sure my jaw wasn't broken and the buck wasn't injured was to look skyward and thank the Good Lord for a great season and the opportunity to be healthy and do what I love to do.

·
Registered
18,627 Posts
Congrats on the rooster. Tree trunk and crossbow limbs coming together bring bad results. A member here took a shot at a buck and the limb of his crossbow hit the tree trunk which knocked him off of his tree stand. His safety belt saved him.

·
Registered
18,422 Posts
dpms said:
Tree trunk and crossbow limbs coming together bring bad results. A member here took a shot at a buck and the limb of his crossbow hit the tree trunk which knocked him off of his tree stand. His safety belt saved him.
That was me.

·
Registered
18,627 Posts
I knew it was but didn't want to mention names.

·
Registered
12,252 Posts
I guess that is a another reason why you should always wear a safety harness!!!

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys! really wish I could have harvested that creme colored coyote! That would have went wonderfully with the cockbird mount!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts