The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
They went on either side of the .358 win...................350 mag and .35 rem :)
Those rifles didn't stick around long enough or Remington would have. They always had the bad habit of developing great cartridges and pairing them with good rifles and giving up on them in a few years when Winchester had a cartridge that seemed to be selling a little better. I.e. ... 6mm Rem., .280 Rem., .300 SAUM. Remington never seemed to want to spend much to promote cartridges they developed.

·
Super Moderator
8,481 Posts
I built a Model 70 Classic into a 35 Whelen. That's one that should have been a factory offering IMHO. That or a 338-06 or a 9.3x62. Any of the three.

It's fairly simple to make a 30-06 into a Whelen, and that's what I did, but having it off the rack in 30-06 "Plus" would be nice. :)

·
Registered
214 Posts
Funny, I like .243 win.........and have had it in five Remingtons (two Rugers and a Savage too).
Not a fan of .223 rem (rather have a .222).
My 1st centerfire was a 660 in triple deuce.

600's in .35 rem are pricey.

·
Super Moderator
8,481 Posts
350 WSM would be a great idea to me. It would exceed the ballistics of the 350 Rem Mag and 35 Whalen.
That would lead to the inevitable 338WSM. I'm still unclear why Winchester went 8mm (325) instead of 338. 338 would have opened the door to much greater bullet selection and a natural evolution from the 338 Federal/338-06/338WM lineup.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Remington came up with the 6BR which is competitive in various types of shooting sports from 100 to 1000 yds. It also makes a great varmint cartridge and handles bullet weights from 58 to 106gr well. It was made to be chambered in the 700 Varmint. They never did it. Savage did and has sold a bunch of them.

·
Registered
13,178 Posts
I recall when the WSM cartridges were being developed that a .338 and even a .375 WSM were intended to be part of the lineup. In developing them, it was discovered that when they got into those bigger diameters in that case that they were encountering higher than desired pressures and lower than desired velocity gains. They were not even able to duplicate, let alone exceed, many cartridges that already existed and the returns just weren't worth the effort. Nor did they think the "new" cartridges would sell as a result. That is why Winchester stopped at the .325 WSM and as usual in the US, the 8mm offering has been somewhat of a flop. 8mm was the largest diameter to offer good results in that case even though it wasn't even supposed to be created in the beginning.

Reactions: tdd

·
Super Moderator
8,481 Posts
That's the first piece of info on that I've seen that makes sense. Thanks for posting it.

My buddy took a 4-pt elk last fall with his 325. In the Kimber he has it in, it's a sweet mountain elk rifle. Just not one you'll see or hear about much.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
I wish Remington would build a 760 in a aluminum or synthetic receiver since the bolt locks into the barrel extension - similar to an AR- or Glock concept. Same shape, etc. Just lighten it - would make a good woods gun even better mountain gun. Stainless innards and pencil 20" bbl would make it about perfect.

Also, a 17/223 & 12 ga o/u combo gun is on my wants list too for most non-big game hunting in PA.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Nobody said this was only for rifles, so here goes:

A 6 shot K frame S&W in 327 Federal Mag, with:
  • Straight back strap
  • Adjustable sights
  • Pinned front post for easy replacement
  • Wooden combats circa early 80s
  • offered in 2,3,4,5,6 inch - both full & half lug
  • regular fluted cylinder with old style beveled front edge (circa early 20th century hand ejectors)
  • Offered in three configurations:
    • Target Trigger/Target Hammer (on the 6 inch only)
    • Smooth trigger/Regular hammer (on all)
    • Smooth trigger/bobbed hammer Double Action Only (at least in the 2, 3 & 4 inch)
  • offered in both blue & SS
  • All with NO LOCK!

41 - 55 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.