The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son and I got 28 doves yesterday. Best day for doves we ever had. Surprising since we hunted the same farm early in the season and there very few. Any way I took a big sheet of heavy duty foil doubled it up and made a wide pan. I cut up 4 or 5 bacon slices and put them on the foil. I filleted the dove breasts into 2 boneless chunks. I put the chunks on top of the bacon. Then put some garlic, onions, mushrooms and peppers (bell, Hungarian wax and serrano) Seasoned with Montreal Chicken Seasoning, Worcester, italian dressing. Cooked on a very hot grill until the breasts were medium rare. Served with mashed taters with sour cream and chives. It was outstanding. Hopefully we'll get enough to make this again.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Sounds good. My fav is to take half a breast and put a slice of jalapeno pepper on it and wrap it in bacon and throw it on the grill til the breast is medium rare.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Sounds good! I often marinade them in Italian dressing overnight then grill the next day.
I do that with strips of Canada goose breast, it is killer, just do not over cook it, it should be no more than medium.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I do my ducks and geese that way too! Honestly it’s the only way I like goose, unless you mix with pork or beef for snack sticks.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like to marinate goose chunks in italian dressing then put a slice of onion on one side of the chunk and a slice of hot pepper on the other side then wrap that sandwich with bacon and grill. I've heard them called goose poppers. Can add a chunk of sharp cheddar on top right before removing.
We hunted geese yesterday morning and got 3 but saw all the doves so we went back in the afternoon and had a blast. I put the goose breasts in a crock pot today with some barbecue rub, garlic salt, brown sugar, onions, garlic, and peppers and slow cooked 8 hrs. Added barbecue sauce and served with on a good roll was almost as good as pulled pork

1 - 9 of 9 Posts