The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When railking had told me he was the new guy in charge with the Project Healing Waters for the Altoona area it sparked my interest to help. I addressed this with my companies, "charity division" if you will.

I found out today that my company will be donating $1,000.00 to the program. I am very happy to work with a company who is still making decent donations in these hard economic times. I believe this could give their fly tying program a nice jolt, or maybe even contribute to an event.

I am eager to get down to the VA and help with some fly tying classes and such. My schedule is pretty busy with my 7 month old, but this is something I want to be more heavily involved with. This donation may help organize an event. I had also found out about an organization called, Reel Recovery www.reelrecovery.org . This organization uses fly fishing as a way to help cancer victims. I hope to tie up a box of flies to ship to them as well. Not much but I imagine every bit helps. I enjoy putting more back into our sport these days than, taking from it.

Alot of flyfisherman like to focus on how good they are, or focus on their so called ego's, their knowledge of specific terms, casting techniques, tough flies to tie, and all that garbage. To me a fly fisherman will not truly know how "great" he is until he starts putting more back to the sport he loves, than what he takes out.

One cannot experience all that fly fishing has to offer, until they share it with someone else.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
I am involved with the Erie Chapter.

We have come a long way in a year, and I can see the men and women's live changed because of it, both the participants and the volunteers.

·
Registered
13,493 Posts
That's a very gracious act by your company.

This is painting with a pretty broad bush don't you think?

Alot of flyfisherman like to focus on how good they are, or focus on their so called ego's, their knowledge of specific terms, casting techniques, tough flies to tie, and all that garbage. To me a fly fisherman will not truly know how "great" he is until he starts putting more back to the sport he loves, than what he takes out.

One cannot experience all that fly fishing has to offer, until they share it with someone else.
How do you know what a lot of fly fishermen do to give back to the sport? A lot of people do give back in many ways without feeling the need to broadcast it or turn it into a 'look at me' moment.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
eyefromthesky said:
That's a very gracious act by your company.

This is painting with a pretty broad bush don't you think?

How do you know what a lot of fly fishermen do to give back to the sport? A lot of people do give back in many ways without feeling the need to broadcast it or turn it into a 'look at me' moment.
going to have to agree with eye

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
eyes

Not arguing that many of the people don't give back. Many do and do a lot more than others. This was not an attempt to put out a look at me moment but an attempt to get others to see the value you can get from helping others.

Lick,

awesome, glad to see you are participating. I can't wait to be a bigger part of this

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks buck. Ill be taking money earned in the next month or so and putting it to flies to prepare for this event. I may be having the event at Yellow Creek Trout Club. The owner is working with me to get it set up, and is planning to let me use the Pavillion and have a cook out and such.

Cant say enough about the company i work for.

·
Registered
13,493 Posts
Hey I thought it was a great post except for the last part. Didn't mean to imply you were going for a 'look at me' moment. Personally I'm sick of all of the fly fisherman bashing and the 'elitist' myths.

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I won't diagree with you on the bashing but from my observations there is a lot more of this "elitist" mentality than you think. A lot of it is sparred from the younger crowd. THere is a lot of turmoil between flyfisherman as well as between fly fisherman and bait fisherman. Wont argue on this and sway the meaning of this post. PM me if you would like.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
bowmike said:
I won't diagree with you on the bashing but from my observations there is a lot more of this "elitist" mentality than you think. A lot of it is sparred from the younger crowd. THere is a lot of turmoil between flyfisherman as well as between fly fisherman and bait fisherman. Wont argue on this and sway the meaning of this post. PM me if you would like.
i have said once before and i will say it again....i spend a pile of time fly fishing and i have meet my share of fellow fly fishers and i cant think of someone who thought they were elite, i have seen more disrespect from bait fisherman then i have fly fisherman

·
Registered
97 Posts
Great job by you and your company Mike!

Like Eye said, it is a bit broad brushing, however; there is no doubt the sport has it's black eyes. Take the FF shows for example. IMO, Chuck Furmisky created a "celebrity monster" once the shows got kicked off years ago. Now every guy that ties a fly has a booth there and is labeled a "celebrity"..??? Come on. And the guys that are writing books about the same nymphing techniques that have existed since I started 15 years ago.. Whats up with that?
Nevertheless, didn't mean to rant - the bottom line is the generosity of you and your company is what America is all about and I wish it would start going in that direction again...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts