The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a single military guy, owning a dog is out of the question. As much I'd love to own a bird dog, it wouldn't be fair to the dog.

For the past three years now, my buddy and I have been doing a bird hunt each year with a guide and dog. A simple put and take day at a preserve.

This year we hunted at 4 seasons, over a GSP. That dog, Tucker, was impressive! Of the 20 Chukars we had put out, he found 18 of them. We assume 2 got out across the creek, which is where we did find one of the first batch. (we had them put out in two groups of 10)

he also found us three nice stray pheasants, which were easily put down by our shooting prowess.

That dog worked hard, at one time he was doing a belly crawl under a log to get to a spot he thought held a bird...and did!

I've hunted over GSP's and a Brittany, and seem to like the GSP more, but all were fine dogs!

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Four Seasons in Mars, PA

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
I was wondering since you are from Hanover. If you are in the area next November around Veterans Day let me know. Our chapter of Pheasants Forver does a Vet Hunt in Glen Rock at a preserve and I'm always looking for hunters.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Bwire, are you hunting at mason dixon in glen rock? I train there in the off season. Good birds and Jerry and Michele are great people.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Springspan- it is Mason Dixon and Jerry and Michele are great. We have taken our two boys out several times and they get to ride and drive the kabota, sit in the tractors and see the animals. They even help out Michele sometimes, if you can call it help. We've had a vet hunt out there the past few years and it has always been a great day.

Marin0351- here is a link to a thread about the vet hunt

http://www.huntingpa.com/forums/ubbthrea...120#Post2846120

I'll send you a pm about it.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
John Henry,
Glad you like to hunt behind a good gun dog,
4 Seasons is a good regulated shooting grounds.
Being that you are active duty military you might consider
taking a walk thru the Grouse woods with with us some time.
Active duty Military and Veterans are always welcome at our
Grouse dog training facility, free of charge. If you would like to experience a little wild Grouse hunting, behind some very good Grouse dogs drop me a private message and we will arrange something.
Pine Creek/Dave

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
John Henry said:
As a single military guy, owning a dog is out of the question. As much I'd love to own a bird dog, it wouldn't be fair to the dog.
Sounds like you should get married so you can have your own dog!!
Addicting isn't it! (The dog not the wife)

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
bwire said:
I was wondering since you are from Hanover. If you are in the area next November around Veterans Day let me know. Our chapter of Pheasants Forver does a Vet Hunt in Glen Rock at a preserve and I'm always looking for hunters.
I'll do my best to be there!! Thanks!

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pine-Creek said:
Being that you are active duty military you might consider
taking a walk thru the Grouse woods with with us some time.
Active duty Military and Veterans are always welcome at our
Grouse dog training facility, free of charge. If you would like to experience a little wild Grouse hunting, behind some very good Grouse dogs drop me a private message and we will arrange something.
Pine Creek/Dave
Sounds great, I was stationed in Maine for 7 years, and have done a good bit of Pahhhh-tridge hunting (grouse) up there, but never over a dog. Got a few grouse, and a woodcock too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts