The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When and how do yuo guys find out about the hunt when it's on. I have always heard about the hunt. I would like to apply with the kids next year. Also Has anyone attended the Tyler Park hunt in bucks county. Just started working out in that area and found out about it.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Never "hunted" Tyler, but with buckshot only that would make me a little nervous! Even the local WCO said the same thing!

·
Registered
645 Posts
The lottery hunt for Graterford usually comes out in a press release and also gets posted in the county treasurers office in Norristown. The easiest thing to do is late Oct or early Nov j go on a computer and type Graterford prison hunt and any info will be listed. Same thing for other municipal parks. Deadline for Graterford is usually around Nov 10th. Hunt this year was scheduled but then cancelled due to staffing issues supposedly

·
Registered
5,626 Posts
My 13 year old son [at the time] 2 years ago hunted graterford. We saw 62 deer in a single file line in the first 5 minutes. I would not let him shoot saying a bigger doe would come by later.LOL. Well within 5 minutes 30 doe came from another direction and I said go ahead! We were outta there in a half hour. We applied this year, but got letters that it was cancelled.

·
Registered
542 Posts
there not doing the Gratersford hunt, The Guards wont do it because they werent getting paid OT for it so the union stoped it

my buddies kid did it last year, he shot 8 doe by noon. showed up in my driveway with a pickup bed FULL of deer

·
Registered
857 Posts
brettS said:
there not doing the Gratersford hunt, The Guards wont do it because they werent getting paid OT for it so the union stoped it
Boy isn't that nonsense statement! LOL! Truth be told, the hunt was canceled due to "Safety Concerns".

and it is "Graterford"...not GraterSford!

·
Registered
5,626 Posts
Hunted it 2 years ago with my son, thought they did a great job and at no time did I feel unsafe with my son next to me.What where the concerns about safety?

·
Registered
699 Posts
It was reported that a slug had found it's way through a living room wall in a surrounding townhouse. I believe it was right of Rt.113. I am not sure that is why it was cancelled, but I do remember reading about it in the local paper. Maybe an archery hunt would work ? There are so many deer in there it is beyond comprehension. A friend of mine did that hunt once and said the toughest part of the hunt was trying to shoot just ONE at a time! He said herds of 50, 60, 80, deer at a time would come through and there would be multiple deer behind the one you had a bead on.

·
Registered
857 Posts
The herd isn't that big anymore! The hunt the past few years has taken it's toll.

As for safety concern...ur guess is as good as mine but I don't think it has to do with a slug going through a wall!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I tried the Norristown Farm Park, one year and just sat in the parking lot waiting to be called. I left by lunch time. Graterford with the youth hunt sounded interesting for the kids chance to harvest a deer.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Shottieman said:
brettS said:
Boy isn't that nonsense statement! LOL! Truth be told, the hunt was canceled due to "Safety Concerns".

and it is "Graterford"...not GraterSford!
aahhhh you might wanna check your sources on that. that statement came from a higher up township emplyee.

thanks for the spelling lesson too, sorry im not a keyboard junky

·
Registered
857 Posts
Listen...I AM a source! LOL! I know EXACTLY why the hunt was canceled and it isn't because the "guards" weren't going to get paid OT! I won't go any further into it but rest assured, your source has NO CLUE!

BTW: no need to take offense and argue this. What I spout is FACT my friend!!! TRUST ME

·
Registered
957 Posts
Cancelled due to operational concerns?
No guards to work it could be a operational concern!
Shottie - are you a guard there?

·
Registered
857 Posts
Yes, i'm an officer there. I am SURE that there would be more than enough guys who would have volunteered their time to make this hunt happen if that were the case! I can tell you with 100% certainty that this hunt wasn't canceled because of the officers not getting paid OT! That's just a ridiculous statement!

As for the union stopping it...really? The union doesn't run Graterford...the Superintendent does! HE is OUR boss...we are not his!

Anyway, it was canceled which made alot of people not so happy (i'm one of them)! So, let's see what happens next year!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Shottieman, Thanks for the info! I want to apply next year with the kids if they will have one. I'll keep in touch if you don't mind.

·
Banned
979 Posts
Shott--Has there ever been a any sex hunt there?? I know they do doe only to control and lower the population, and I also know there are some Monsters that frequent there as well, I live just up the road from there in Perkiomenville and have spoke to some people who live and hunt on the outskirts and to say I'm envious is an understatement!

·
Registered
857 Posts
BEAR: Sure thing man! Just send me a PM once we get closer to the time!

Bill: Not in the past few years (to my knowledge anyway). and YES...some MONSTERS on that property!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Any idea or talk about the amount of applications received for these hunts? I applied for this one and the farm park hunt and was just curious how many others did as well.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts