The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have many questions and thoughts here, hope it doesn't get too confusing.
cause I already am.

Well, it's officially the end of our Summer and were into Fall and my Clover and Chicory Plot has a pretty good crop of grassy weed growing in a good portion of it.

Back in May, I really took the time with this plot and gave it the Lime, Fertilizer and nursed it to a plot of beauty.
Around June I sprayed it with a good batch of Poast to help control the broadleaf weed. The Poast did it's job or at least I think it did it's job at controlling the broadleaf.
But the grassy weed is now taking over!
Around the end of June I even overseeded the plot with few pound of Clover and Chicory seed, to help fill in some bare spots and to just keep things going.

Back in May I even on a regular basis of 3 weeks or so, mowed it all to a height of 4-5", (highest setting on my tractor) to help with weed control and to help keep the Clover and Chicory young and tender. It worked very well as it would bounce right back more lush and greener than ever!

But come July the dry season and lack of rain.
I thus stopped all my mowing thinking it would further damage the Clover by drying it out and burning up. But now the end of the season the grassy weed is taking over but the Clover and Chicory is coming back as well. It now could stand a mowing,
But do I do it?

or

Since it's the end of the growing season do I let it be and keep it high for the winter for the deer to feed on it's remainder?

Is there anything I can do for the grassy weed this year, or just let it go till next Spring?

Another plan:

About a year or so, it was mentioned in this Forum regarding spraying an established Clover plot during early Spring green up time with a very mild recipe of 41% Gly....

(I believe this was DUTCH's recipe)

This would kill off the young weed early but not the Clover.
And the Clover would grow back better than ever but weed free.

Soooo, with it being the end of the season, leave the weed control till next Spring and then hit it with this Gly. recipe?

Now, how much Gly, to this recipe so I don't kill off my Clover in the Spring? as I'm expecting a good comeback of Clover and Chicory with the seed I spread down in June.

Gly. to water ratio using an ATV boom sprayer and a 1/4 acre plot.
Plot is established going on 4 years.

Thanks for listening..
Thanks for any ideas and recommendations as well...

Mike

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
1/2 a qt per acre of Gly early May should do it. It will do a number on the grasses. Weeds that are germinating as well. The plot will look totally dead after 2-3 weeks, then you'll begin to see it greening up again.

If you like, you could also spread seed at the time of the application, that will help thicken the plot too.

I wouldn't mow now unless its just to top any seed heads of weeds. Very dry now, but rains are predicted for next week. Just let it strengthen itself for the fall/winter.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Oh yeah, the Gly is probably going to kill the chickory.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This will be added to my must have project list to build.

I'll get some weed pics, headed to the cabin today to do some X-bow warm up shooting.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dutch said:
A weed wick works as long as the weed is taller than the clover.

Can you post pics of the weed?

Okay here goes:

BEFORE...

This is a before back in May/June 2010, Lime, Fertilizer and Poast already completed.

I also mowed this plot several times before the draught in July to a height of approx. 4-5" and I swear it would rebound and grow back 6" in a week or 2.

AFTER...

This is today 9/29/10. My mowing stopped in July when the drought began.
Lack of rain took it's toll on this plot. Then the weed took over.

Really sad to put all the work and money into it and this is your end result.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
I'd hit it with that roundup method next spring and also throw some clover seed on at the same time.

Your plot is 4 years old, right? Kinda hard to get more than that out of them.

Might want to try Durana Clover next. Supposed to be longer lasting than the Ladinos.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I say wait an see what some of this rain an cooler weather will do for it.You could spot spray next spring and over seed.But like Dutch says 4 yrs. and they start going down hill from there.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Re: "Grassy Weed taking over my Plot, what to do?"

Did you incorporated lime or just spread on top and how much. What about a soil test? I would hinge cut some of trees to give more sun, spray with Arrow or Post and add lime. Fertilizer lowers you ph every time you apply it. And if possible try to cut 8-10" high. You still have plenty of clover there it,s just not to happy

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Twinponds said:
Did you incorporated lime or just spread on top and how much. What about a soil test? I would hinge cut some of trees to give more sun, spray with Arrow or Post and add lime. Fertilizer lowers you ph every time you apply it. And if possible try to cut 8-10" high. You still have plenty of clover there it,s just not to happy
That was all done in May, the first 2 photos show the results.
Things went South when we got the very dry weather in mid July and it dried up, last 4 photos.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts