The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For anyone who ever said a 25-06 was not enough for deer, I present the following....
This is the <span style='font-size: 11pt'>entry</span> wound UNDER the right shoulder. My son hit it a little forward of where I like and hit meat. The initial hole that is in the right shoulder is about the size of my pinkie finger.

This is the exit wound through the left shoulder.

That was a Hornady 100gr spire point at 3050fps.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
If I had to use ONE type and brand of bullet for every caliber I own and every animal I ever hunted it would be a Hornady SpirePoint Interlock. Affordable, accurate and perform as good or better than bullets that cost MUCH more!!!

·
Registered
995 Posts
hmm...I have shot that bullet out of a 257 weatherby doing 3500 plus fps. I shot one deer at 25 feet and that bullet still held together. I really really really can't say anything bad about it. Cheap,accurate,and works well. You will find that when you run them over 3300 fps they don't exit deer.

As for the shot placement on opening day I wouldn't shoot a deer anywhere else but the shoulder. Reason being I don't want them running out of my sight. For example monday my friend shot at a deer and went up to see if he hit it. He found out that there we 2 guys in a ground blind on the other side of a tree 50 yards from where he shot at the deer. The guys had apparently set the blind up in the dark and without any orange on he couldn't see them. A shoulder shot should anchor a deer on the spot. I don't want to have anyone else arguing with me about who shot the deer.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He didn't go far
http://www.huntingpa.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1998961#Post1998961
Like I said, the load cronoed at 3050fps, the hit was at about 60 yards and that entry wound was after it hit meat, not bone. As far as them running, I have permission to retrieve on others property if it makes it off mine, has never been a issue.

That quarterbore just impressed the heck out of me. I will have to with hold final judgment until he hits a few more but there is no way that anyone can say that that isn't as effective as anyone can ask for on a whitetail.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I know someone who swears up and down that he uses that bullet on cow elk. Shoots em in the ribs and watches them fall...

he owns land in colorado...

·
Registered
995 Posts
roy weatherby killed a cape buffalo with a 257 weatherby and a hundred grain partition...one shot

25-06 is 200 fps behind...so what can you do with this caliber?

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
I anchored my buck with a 117gr Hornday RN out of my 257. Recovered the bullet....went through the neck, vitals and out just behind and under the off shoulder(quartering to from a treestand). I didn't check the weight on the bullet, but it probably retained just about 30%....buck very dead, very quickly!

I might get fancy and try out those Speer Deep Curl bullets this summer for something new....just because!

I don't have a chrono so I have no real clue how fast I'm pushing that bullet. The shot was at a mere 35 though and I was happy to see it didn't come apart....that's why I shoot them!

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I have never heard anyone say am .06 is not enough gun for deer.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
John S said:
I have never heard anyone say am .06 is not enough gun for deer.
Then you missed a few conversations on here.

Wasn't any doubt in my mind that it would work, they are only deer after all, but I didn't expect this. I figured more along the lines of the damage from the 243, which is also more than enough.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
400 if its a roundball

·
Registered
389 Posts
My wife and i both shoot 25's. Hers is a 250 savage in a 700. Mine is a 25-06 in a M77. Never had a deer get to someone else. Handloads on both 117 hornady interlock.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts