The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New Mexico lottery drawing in 1972. My grandfather had been put in for years and never drew. He put grandmas name in that year and she drew a tag first time around. She was not a hunter before but any escuse to get a new outfit. New hunting clothes , grandpa bought a new gun, went to the range for months. Hunt was on a cattle ranch in NE new Mexico sept 1972. She wanted moral support from a girlfriend and grandpa had his hunting buddy along as well. The guys dropped the ladies off on a high knoll and went to drive the jeep out of site. On the way they got the jeep stuck in the mud real good. In the meantime the ladies are glassing the prarie and here comes a buck right to them. "Is that a big buck? I don't know , What should we do, I don't know". 75 yards out ,decision was made, BANG. Dropped in his tracks. Grandpa and buddy still digging out the jeep go running back. Happy that she got an antelope but PO'd they missed the whole thing. It turns out the buck was a 16 1/2" and the largest in New Mexico in 1972. Grandma even got a plaque from the game commission to that effect. The mount was the only animal allowed in the house . All grandpa's mounts were in the garage.
Can anyone tell me what kind of gun that is? It looks like the front of the barrel is fluted as well.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
WOL said:
It looks like a Remington M700 BDDL but I can't get a good look at the bolt. The bolt almost looks Mauser or Ruger. But the stock looks like a M700 BDL.
Grandpa was a gun nut to say the least. Gun may be a frankensteingun as he had a buddy gunsmith do a lot of custom stuff to his guns. Does that barrel look fluted? I didn't know they did that way back when.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
loridr said:
Heck of a goat!!!
She almost passed on it because grandpa wasn't there to tell her anything. She knew where to aim but not anything about horn size. She did say that several hunters in other camps shot does with small horns by mistake and had to forfeit the meat. She lucked out big time.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
The last 10-12 inches of that barrel definitely look fluted. I know that got popular in the late 1990s/early 2000s, but I'm sure the custom and target guys were doing it for a while.

My guess is that that rifle is probably a mutt. Probably a Mauser action attached to a custom barrel and nestled into a fancy stock. A lot of those were around in those days. It's a pretty rifle and it obviously worked in September of 1972.

·
Registered
18,571 Posts
Rifle looks like my 22-250 in rem 700. What looks fluted may only be a reflection in the picture.

Nice lope and great story. Waugh!

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
700 BDL's never had that checkering pattern and they sure never had a slanted fore end tip. Looks Weatherby Vanguard which was available in the early 70's. Great speedgoat!

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
That's a great goat! Look's like a Weatherby to me. It also looks like a BSA(Birmingham Small Arms) I have. Bought it in '73-'74. Guys have asked me over the years if it's a Weatherby as they look similar. Wonder the caliber?

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think you may be right about the Weatherby. Grampas favorite elk gun was a Weatherby .308 Winchester. He definitely could have had his smithy build a similar one for grandma, for some reason 243 Win sticks in my mind. I can only speculate about it .

I have been looking at New mexico fish and game for any types of scoreing records for 1972 and im not finding anything. If anybody can steer me in the right direction I'd appreciate it

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Way to go Grandma! I love it.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Just looked at some Vanguards in my old Shooters Bibles. 1970s, 1980s and even 1990s. The stock and the bolt are definitely not Weatherby. I think it's a Mauser action in an after-market stock.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks WOL. I wish I had asked more questions when I was a teenager but I was more enamored of grandpas 38 specials and 45's cause I was allowed to shoot them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.