The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few years ago I hoped to kill a Grand Slam but now don't think it is that great of an accomplishment. If you personally call in and kill all subspecies great.

Unfotunately I now know that a lot of the hunts are over bait, kills on a travel route or near a roost site, and even kills with a rifle. All legal kills in those states but requiring little or no calling skills. I personally know a friend who killed three merriams and two rios and is now 3/4 of his way to a slam. He did not call in any of the merriams or rios. I was with him on the merriam hunt. Super nice guy but still a novice turkey hunter.

Is the slam really that impressive?

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Well, my question to you would be...which slam are you after as there are technically THREE.

There is the GRAND SLAM which is the Eastern, Rio, Merriam, and Oceola.

There is the ROYAL SLAM, which adds the Gould's.

Then there is the WORLD SLAM, which adds the Ocellated to the Royal.

Myself...I will NEVER get a slam because I HATE Florida. Hate the weather, the spiders, the Gator shows...the list goes on...

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Well there are all "types" of slams. All in one year, life time slams, bow slams, etc. If it is a legal kill and the hunter is satisfied, that is important. I've been working on my slam for over 15 years. I'm a better turkey hunter now than when I started. I do what satisfies me (within my budget and vacation time available). For me it's been fun seeing other hunting grounds and other types of birds. But I've enjoyed my spring PA Easterns just a much. All the PA birds (but the first were called in by me and me alone). I wouldn't trade any of those birds for the Merriam I still need. I'm interested in other's opinions.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Slams are neat. But IMHO, if you are a decent turkey hunter, the slams are just a function of how much money you have and how much vacation time you can take in the spring.

I'm not looking down upon, criticizing or belittling anyone who's gotten a slam. I'd like to have the Royal before I die. The hard part is out of the way. But I've no need or desire to register it with the NWTF just so it can be "official".

One of the best aspects of the slams, I think, is getting to experience different habitats and terrains and scenery and cultures.

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
If someone wants to pursue a slam, then fine. Overall though, they ae not important. Whether you have a slam of any kind or not does not make you more or less of a hunter. In fact, in todays world of hunting, it is really just an ego thing. I have not shot an Osceola, but in my experience, it is far more difficult to consistently shoot a bird here in PA than to take a Rio or a Merriams. Doubt that I'll ever take a turkey slam. I just do not have the desire to hunt Osceolas. I'll go to my grave ok with that. The one slam I do want is caribou. I am working on a Central-BG tip now. After that, all I need is a mountain caribou and I'll have all 5. To me it's just a cool thing to pursue. I guess it's my "ego" thing. To each their own whether pursuing a slam or not.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
kudu58 said:
If someone wants to pursue a slam, then fine. .........Whether you have a slam of any kind or not does not make you more or less of a hunter.
True dat !!

I know a few fellows that have the World Slam that I would not even let hunt with me. I doubt a couple of them could kill a PA bird on their own.

·
Registered
782 Posts
It is obviously a personal goal sort of thing but in turkey hunting I think it is important because it is an achievement. Is it important for an NFL player to get a Super Bowl ring? Probably the ones that don't have one would say, "No". But the ones that have them probably wear them. I know a lot of folks that call themselves turkey hunters. I know one guy that has a grand slam. That doesn't mean he is a better turkey hunter than everyone else I know but it has to mean something about his interest in the sport.

However, it won't mean anything when you meet your maker at the Great White Throne so in the "grand" scheme of things I guess it really isn't that important.

·
Super Moderator
24,075 Posts
A Grand Slam to me is like trying to kill a 200" buck I could care less about either.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
A Slam is only important to outfitters, they just
recently started talking about a Whitetail Slam in
"Deer and Deer Hunting" Magazine.
It's like telling me your tagged out, who cares.

·
Registered
972 Posts
It is all in the eyes of the beholder. I personally would like to do a Rio and Merriam and have been actively checking out was is involved. I have numerous contacts already.
You said about using a rifle and no calling, I feel the same way about rifles in the fall here in Pa. Hooray you sniper an adult gobbler at 100yds but is it bragging rights? Legal? Yep!

None of us are getting any younger. If you are gonna do it, then do it. However you do it will be within your soul on what you feel is a legitimate slam "in your mind" as being right. Mine, if I do it, would be at close range and no rifle.....

·
Registered
570 Posts
I agree with Denny. It all depends on the individual, I have a friend that has completed his own slam in 3 yrs.His goal now is to do it all again with a bow. It's really important to him and that's good, not overly important to me, however I think that it wold be something cool to do.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I have a couple grand slams only because, at the time, I had a good place in FL where I could hunt private land for free which held turkeys. There is absolutely no way I would hunt the overhunted public down there or shell out the big bucks for decent private. I enjoy hunting multiple states in the spring but I don't care what subspecies. Even when I got my grand slams my most satisfaction came from the fact I was hunting new, different areas. That's what I enjoy the most.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Well said Turkeyman! I have taken 3 species of turkeys and the BEST part of all that was the new places and the people. Tagging out on a bird or 3 (like on Merriams')is just icing on the cake imo.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
I think records are great but will never get one. I tend to make up my own within my budget. Here was one; tag a turkey in fall and spring 2 years in a row. Then it was beards only for spring/fall. Well you get the idea. It will never make the books but I made the hunt enjoyable for me and made my challenges within PA lines and enjoyed getting my goals and even more fun missing them.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Of course there not important but with that said it gives someone adventure and sets goals to accomplish. I am far from being a rich man and don't consider myself to have a high ego. I get as much enjoyment out of others success and adventures as I do mine. I am trying to complete the North American Super Slam. 29 big game species. It is a goal of mine. I am not a better hunter than anyone else. Maybe more traveled! I am not a failure if I don't complete it or a hunting GOD if I do! It's simply something I am triving to do. It has taken me all over North America to some of the most beautiful places on our planet. To each their own! Good huntin'

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I agree with you so many slams are filled with canned hunts.All it takes is time and money.
I know i could call a long beard in on MARS if i could get there.That's what really matters to me.

Scott

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I feel like everyone, so far, responded the way I expected. A good eastern hunt here is a great accomplishment. Consistently killing an eastern in PA is even more impressive. I think the TV shows and outfitters and sportsman's show make these goals more important than they really are.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts