The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wife and I just purchased a Garmin Nuvi 255w. I was always a compass and map guy, but I must admit... I'm impressed. What do you all recomend as a hand held for hunting, hiking, and fishing?

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Go with the two suggestions above. Mine will quickly get a fix right through the roof of my house.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Garmin Etrex Legend HCX with waas enable,I can also sit in my house and get a signal.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
I still use my old Garmin E-trex Legend. It has issues staying in sync under thick leaf cover, the newer units have fixed this problem. Someday my old one will finally die and I'll get one of the improved models. Garmin makes a good & reliable product!

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I have one of the early ones, a Garmin 38.

I bought it for the Alaskan Tundra--and it works there OK--well at least until a cloud comes over
It eats batteries and gets lost under a tree---but other than that I really like it

Anyone interested in a little piece of history shoot me a PM

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
I was misguided when someone told me about waas,thanks LifeNRA for setting me straight.

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
Retiredusne8 said:
I was misguided when someone told me about waas,thanks LifeNRA for setting me straight.
Hey, its all good!
At one time I used to keep WAAS turned off. Because, somebody told me that it really doesn't work that well with hand held units. That was wrong too! But I leave it on all the time now!

Yes, most units with a high sensitive antenna will pick up a signal through a window! If I keep the front curtains open, which is about 10-12 feet from my desk. My 60 CSx will acquire about a 20-25 foot accuracy.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Yup go Garmin. I still use my Legend cx. It works good, but have issues in heavy foliage. It's good enough to work though. Whenever it dies, I'll upgrade to the 60csx, or something similar. I love all the other features data features in the legend....do the newer models still have them? Dist to next, glide ratio, etc.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts