The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to get a GPS with TOPO Map ability. Any recommendations for a mid-priced unit? $250-$400

·
Registered
761 Posts
I just got a Garmin Legend HCx and love it. So easy to use. I think Cabelas has them for $250. I found mine used for $150.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I have 2 garmin rino 530's. Love the gps and mapping but the walkie talkie portion stinks. $380 each from Walmart online plus got $50 back from Garmin on each.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
Garmin Dakota or Oregon. These are one of the two I plan to get for XMAS!!!

·
Registered
734 Posts
I was thinking the same thing myself but I read reviews that the screen is not bright enough to see in the sun. If you make the purchase I would like to know what you think.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
I had the Oregon 400t and I ended up exchanging it for the 60csx bundle pack. I got more bang for my buck with the 60csx and alot of online reviews preferences for that model.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I'll second the Garmin 60csx. I've used mine for two seasons in PA and Colorado with the topo maps and love it. Real fast satellite aquisition and it has an electronic compass. You can get one on amazon for $279.00 with free shipping and no tax. The topo maps are about $60.00.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
ADKtrapper said:
I just got a Garmin Legend HCx and love it. So easy to use. I think Cabelas has them for $250. I found mine used for $150.
I got one from Cabelas for $199 (bundel pack)and free shipping.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
I have the Garmin vista HXC and love it. I use it out west and in Mo. with no problems. I can still receive a signal while it is in my pocket. On my last elk hunt 2 guys in camp had a Dakota and the 60csx. The dakota is way over priced and the touch screen could not be used while wearing gloves. I played with it around camp one day and I did not care for it.

The 60csx was a good unit, but it would loose the signal if placd in a pocket or pack, easy navigation with the 60 and it came with some nice options. Neither of the units would link as fast as the Vista HX-c.

And the Dakota did like to eat the batteries.
Just a few of my observations on both units.

·
Registered
12,352 Posts
I just bought the Garmin 400t, used it in North Dakota recently with ample sunlight. I wasn't using it for extended periods of screen staring but I didn't seem to have much of a problem with seeing the screen. I read all those reviews about screen display too. It didn't seem like a big deal to me once I adjusted the backlight and such.

On another note, I think the Oregon is one of the most intuitive GPS models out there. This was my first GPS and I have yet to look at the instructions. Very easy to use.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts