The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had at least 1gsp my whole life. About 2 years ago I bought an English setter, she is completely different. Both have their pros and cons. I want to get another dog in the next year or so, but I don't know what to get. It's a broad question but I want another dog that will hunt the same and be comparable with the setter or Gsp. I'm open to other breeds

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
You stated that you want a dog that hunts the same as your GSP or Setter but also stated that they were completely different and both had pros and cons. Your might want to start out determining which of your dogs and their pros and cons you like to hunt behind the best or giving us some specific information of what you like about your dogs. That would help with determining other recommendations.

You can likely find a dog in every breed out there that hunts like your GSP or your Setter but will find just as many that are nothing like them.

I am not sure if anyone can give you a recommendation other than to research breeds that you like and have tendencies like one of your dogs.

You are in line to get a whole bunch of "my dog is the best and this is why you should get it". I work with 200 plus dogs a year of every breed and can assure you that what is the greatest dog they have ever owned to one guy is another guys junk. You need to get what you like.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Chris,
As Pointer advised you need to decide what kind of hunting dog you want to most hunt behind and have in your home. Investigate the different breed lines way of hunting
and hunt behind them if you can.
If you want another Setter I recommend the Gordon Setter & the Ryman Setter if you like to Grouse & Woodcock hunt most of the time. Both layed back dogs around the house and great hunters in the forest. If you want another GSP go for it, lots of different breeders with good dogs thru out the country.
Pine Creek/Dave

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
"Which breed?" Topic...

If I ventured outside the world of setters, I'd have to go with a pointer pup out of winning cover dog parents.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
We have 2 English Setters. Deacon Blue, a 4 year old Decoverly, black ticking and white and a 6 month old male Ghillie Rutledge, brown ticking and white, from the new GHR Consortium's first litter. His pop is a Decoverly and his mom is a Rhy's. Both dogs have the best disposition!! Very laid back and user friendly. Deacon has a great nose, and Ghillie will be trained this Spring and will be hunting in the Fall.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
BTW, there are still 2 pups left from the Consortium litter!!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I love how loyal my setter is but hate how shy she is around other dogs and people. She's very timid. It seemed the gsp was a little more wild. So I would like something in the middle.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Surely you do not believe that timidity or wildness tracks breed?

There are many types of setters out and about as well.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I have two and they're certainly not timid or shy. Your dog sounds a little submissive. How did you go about socializing your setter?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got her as a pup and she grew up with 2 gsps. (A male and a female.). The female became like a mother and the male wasn't too impressed. A year ago I put down the female and it seems the male isn't far behind. She's gotten better since I've had her. In the beginning she would sit and drool and look at me. I thought maybe she was abused since I got her at1 and a half but when I saw my girls setter I assumed it's the way they are. The dogs she meets are either with me there or someone we run into in the field.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
If your not in a big hurry, Tom Gingher (knobmtn), forum sponsor has a few freebie get-togethers/training seminars every year where guys meet at his training grounds in Columbia Co., plant some birds, run some dogs, shoot the breeze and get fed well. Usually a vast array of setters, pointers, GSPs, and Brits. Let's see, there's Dauphinbucks' Roscoe and Jagger (setters), knobmtn's Ralphie (pointer), Big Don's Mabel (setter), PASportsmen's Teddy and young female (pointers), and others I can't remember their usernames: Thor's Jet (pointer) and Chance (setter), Dennis' Max (setter) and my older three (setters). There are many others, it's a good time.

·
Registered
322 Posts
A consortium is 1 : an agreement, combination, or group (as of companies) formed to undertake an enterprise beyond the resources of any one member. It sounds like a dual Setter Consortium!

·
Registered
390 Posts
ChrisPhilly said:
My girlfriends father also has a setter and seems to have the same personality.
Chris,
My setter is same way, timid when she's not in the field. You'd swear I beat her, but I've never laid a hand on her. I've heard it referred to as the Dr. Jekyll - Mr.(Mrs.) Hyde personality, when she's in the field there's not a timid bone in her.

She was a bit bitchy around other dogs that she didn't know. (Especially with a certain male setter, who she has hunted with numerous times, was being fresh with her in the back seat
)

But she's gotten a lot better due to being boarded for our last two family vacas at a kennel that let's all the boarded dogs romp around with each other.

Whether being timid is a setter trait, I nowhere near qualified enough to give an opinion. I’m just throwing out my experience with my setter.

Good kuck with your search
(and go with the setter, they also make good office dogs
)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts