The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old Magellan(15yrs) that is accurate to within 30ft. I've been told the new models are accurate to within 1-2 ft. Does anyone know about this, and which models are the most accurate.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Accuracy hasn't improved that much in affordable handheld units. To even get to a 5 foot accuracy you're looking in the $800+ range. The garmin 60csx advertises a 3 meter accuracy when recieving WAAS correction signals. They seem like nice units, but at $360 or so, they're still pricey for most users. I work with GPS on a daily basis (surveying) and the submeter accuracy mapping units we use run about $8,000.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
The GPS systems we used for surveying and connecting to our dozers 5 years ago were running in excess of a million for the system, which included a $5K notebook pc with wireless capabilities. In any event, a standard hand held unit like my slightly outdated Garmin Summit HC is more than capable for my hunting needs. It gets me within a foot or two of most of my waypoints, the only negative is the cloud cover/foliage cover, but still it works as good as the million dollar system my company uses.

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
SoYoCoTransplant said:
The GPS systems we used for surveying and connecting to our dozers 5 years ago were running in excess of a million for the system, which included a $5K notebook pc with wireless capabilities. In any event, a standard hand held unit like my slightly outdated Garmin Summit HC is more than capable for my hunting needs. It gets me within a foot or two of most of my waypoints, the only negative is the cloud cover/foliage cover, but still it works as good as the million dollar system my company uses.
Cloud cover shouldn't have any effect on a gps.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
It does in extreme weather. Had it happen once the last day of the season one year. Bad storm came up and couldn't get a reading.

·
Registered
949 Posts
I use an etrex vista HCx, for work and hunting, the HCx designation is important, because it has a better reciever for getting signal under canopy cover, it has a color screen, expandable memory, and you can load the topo maps onto the unit, it has alot of funtion and features, it will take time and use to reach the full potential of use, cabela's list a bundle(unit, topo dvd, 128 MB micro sd card(i use a 2G card) and carry case) price of $349.99

Drawback of this unit is the small screen.

http://www.gpsinformation.org/penrod/VistaHcx/vistahcx.html

another unit with simialar features and a bigger display screen is the:

Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx

http://www.gpsinformation.org/penrod/g60csx/60csx.html

Accuracy of both is hand grenade close.

·
Registered
6,479 Posts
I wonder if outdoorpersons really use their GPS for things.
We use it to find our way out of the woods..
However if your a Shroomer...Since many of the edible shrooms come up in the same place year after year after year. You could take a locatiion reading for example of where you found those expensive Golden Chanterelle..Save it to the memory. Now if you found them last July 18 2010. You go back to the spot on your saved GPS unit on July 18 2011. It's going to take you right to those Golden Chanterelles..

Same for fishing holes when your in your boat...If you stumble on the old stream bed.. Take a reading and you can go back to it time after time after time..

Me? I have a Magellen for the woods and a TOMTOM for the car...15 feet in the woods is only 4 + yards. Unless you have buried treasure out there in a Mason jar?.. 15 feet off is still good for shrooms, tree stands, and old stream bottom locations..

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
My old Garmin E-trex Legend has a few hundred waypoints stored. I can find any of them any time I try. I mark all the SFL corners i find holding the GPS over the rock cairn. I've never had any problem finding them again. Following a old road thru the woods, the track is accurate enough that zoomed all the way in I can tell when I'm walking in the other rut on my way out...close enough for me!

The newer 60csx are much better at keeping a lock, some have reported getting a lock while still inside the house! I have changed how I carry it in order to keep the antenna pointed up. I have a case w/ a belt clip and I clip it on my shirt collar, bib suspender, etc. and it keeps locked or quickly re-locks in most situations

·
Registered
283 Posts
I use a Delorme PN-20 almost every day I'm in the field.
I am always adding waypoints and pieces of info to the maps I have made using Delorme's Topo software. Plus, with a GPS in my pocket, I never worry about following tracks and new trails out of my usual area. Never lost, can always get back to the truck.
I print out the maps so the guys in camp with a GPS can use a compass and some common sense and know where things are.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I still use the Garmin Etrex Legend HCx that I got several years ago. I've got the old topo maps on it, and City Navigator 2008... I use it to drive during work and have minimal problems with it. In the woods, I never really have an issue during the winter, but sometimes lose the satellites under a thick canopy. Generally I acheive an accuracy of +/- 20 feet. I also have the case with a belt clip...I attach it to the sternum strap on my backpack, and that's been the best method for keeping my hands free while maintaining satellite signal. I like the fact that it uses AA batteries....they last for about 30 hrs of use. I have a plug for use in the car. If the batteries run out in the woods, I can just put in new ones....if you're using a GPS with a rechargeable battery, you're SOL. The Etrex series has a ton of features that come in handy when you're outdoors....elevation, glide ratio, backtracking, etc. I definitely recommend one. They're also waterproof and pretty rugged. I've never had an issue in the woods...although, since I use it to drive too, it's on the mount on the dash and gets very hot....the glue that holds the rubber edge on melted off....I sent in back to Garmin, and they got me another one within a week. That lasted a couple years, but it has happened again...it doesn't affect the use of the unit at all though.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Last year I bought a Delorme PN-40.........unbelievable piece of equipment. Extremely fast signal acquisition and very accurate.....typically plus/minus 6'-10'. The ability to download aerial photos is a big benefit as well.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
I have a Garmin 60CSX. I replaced an old etrex with it a couple months ago. The unit is pretty accurate as mentioned but it also tracks satellites much better than my old gps. With the old etrex (bought in about 2000) I couldn't track satellites under tree cover. The 60 CSX will pick up satellites quickly, even indoors.

There is also a base map but it is really basic. I purchased topo maps for it but they add to the price. Figure about $375 to $400 for the GPS and another $100 for good mapping software. It isn't cheap but it is a good unit.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I just got the new delorme PN60, I love it, compared to my old Garmin this thing is 10x better, My old garmin didn't want to pick up the satelites under the canopy, the new one does easily.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I have a magellan triton 500 I use it mostly for rattle snake hunting to find den sites I been to before in full summer foliage.Plus I use it for Geocaching.Ive had real good luck with this unit but is is my first one and don't have anything to compare it with.I do know I been in really remote places over cliffs with it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts