The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a Garmin 64st on sale yesterday and have been toying with it here in the house learning to use it,but I am torn on keeping it.I have been using my iPhone ,but it is not as reliable as far as setting waypoints in certain areas in mtns and heavy canopy.Screen on the Garmin is half that of the iPhone.Have the topos on the Garmin and Birdseye if I want to pay $30 a year after a free year.Not sure if a simpler unit would be best.More concerned with getting back to civilization or car and setting waypoints.I do not venture super far.Was looking at the etrex20.Not sure what is best option.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I have both the 20x and 64st and I always grab the 20. It's like half the size and fits well in a pocket. Batteries last twice as long at least. And I prefer the joystick of the 20. Only advantage of the 64 is it picks up satellites faster.

The phone/GPS is a separate discussion but for a number of reasons I won't ever go solely with a phone.

Also download the gpsfiledepot patopo map. It's free and perfectly adequate for navigation although it doesn't have land ownership and the mapped hiking trails are hit or miss.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
I have the 60CSX, which is no longer made. I love it. I started with the plain Jane Etrex (blue) way back when I started geocaching. My 60CSX functions great, I have no issues with it and really have no plans to replace it, but...........I have also seen the sale price on the 64 series. My early Etrex had the joystick and I was 50/50 with it. Didn't love it, didn't hate it. I guess I've been using the 60CSX for so long, using the pad just comes natural.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Was out using my 64st today in WV and it worked fine.Much more reliable than using my cell and Google maps.Even jumped acouple deer right at a waypoint I put in from home.Still getting use to it.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
The 64st paired with OnX Huntmap and Garmin's Birdseye View is INCREDIBLE !!!

Very valuable for hunting public land and staying off neighboring private.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts