The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience with GPS apps/maps for out of state hunting. I see you can download them for many states, especially interested in those out west. Anyone have any experience with them? Thanks

·
Registered
11,144 Posts
I did a DIY Colorado archery elk hunt this past September and the guys I was with used http://www.huntinggpsmaps.com/ on their GPS units. They used it religiously. When moving to a new spot it was a great aid to use for finder possible streams/water and the elk and know where private/public land boundaries are.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I also did a DIY archery hunt in the Colorado back country lastyear. Received an SD card from HuntingGPSMaps.com and used it a lot. I would recomend these maps to anyone. I was able to download basecamp (Garmin feature) and scout using google earth then add my way points to basecamp. From basecamp you can down load them to your SD card very easily.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What Garmin device would you recommend?

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
If you have a smart phone or tablet and service where you'll be, Cabelas has an app that's not bad. Was very helpful identifying whether we were on private or public land on an antelope hunt in Wyoming.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I also use the HuntingGPSMaps.com maps here in Colorado. For $100 it is well worth it. It has kept me where I should be and out of where I am not allowed to be. It really comes in handy when you come to a fence as some are boundary fences and some are just range fences within public land.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts