The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone use or know of a good working Android GPS App? I have a Garmin GPS but if i could find an App that works i might be able to carry one less thing in my pockets. Thanks

·
Registered
289 Posts
Back Country Navigator. Very good, easy to use, free map downloads, many maps to choose from, eliminates need for separate GPS. Works well with RAZR MAX.

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
Does this work in areas where there is no cell service? I thought it doesn't but things might have changed by now. I remember some time ago a person wanted to use it off road whether it was fishing or hunting. Somebody mentioned that it does not work in areas of no cell service. Just curious!

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
The only parts that dont work without cell service is the topo maps. They only work if you pre cache them before you go into a no service area.

I used Cabelas Recon when I had a smart phone. I am back to hand held gps, more reliable and if one goes down I have the other.

·
Registered
289 Posts
On Back Country Navigator you down load maps when you have access to the internet. You can download topo, old B&W or updated aerial, combanation topo and aerial and others. Once you do it for the area you don't need cell or 3-4G service. I run my phone in airplane mode and the GPS will still work.

You can save a screenshot with what ever tracks and waypoints you have added to a map and send it as a text message or print it out. Also, when you make a waypoint you can use the camera on your phone to add a picture to the waypoint. I use this feature a lot to help me remember the spot I marked.

I bought it a few years ago when the app was $1.99. I know it's a few dollors more now. There is a free version also but I'm not sure what you get with that. They update the app regularly and if you sign up they send out a news letter (email) explaining whats new.

I used a Bushnell for a few years and Back Country Navigator does every thing the Bushnell does. Easy to use and cheaper.

·
Registered
429 Posts
viewranger It is gps and gives wind direction. It's free, check it out.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Do any of these apps have a simple way to save your current location as a waypoint (like old Garmin GPS) that you can view on the map? The apps I've looked at so far don't seem to do that very easily.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts