The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

gps and google earth

3K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  wv windy ridge 
#1 ·
Guys I am looking for some help. I have a piece of land that I need some assistance and questions answered for. I want to ride my ATV or walk and map some old logging roads. I want a gps that will log these trails and then permit me to upload that information to Google Earth. Is it possible to do this? and if so which GPS would be best suited for this and other hunting activities.

#2 ·
Yep it's possible.

I have a Garmin Vista. With GPS on, walk or ride all the trails you want. Mark all the Waypoints, Routes, Tracks or whatever you want to do.
Download and log into Earth, under the Tools Menu select GPS and you can IMPORT all your Waypoints, Routes and Tracks that you created. First you must plug in the GPS to your computer to Import.

Once Imported you can customize and rename points or color code trails... etc.
Then Save them all.

#3 ·
Thanks CowDawg...appreciate the information. I have a Garmin E-Trex.. and can not find the book on it so its like shooting in the dark. The property is 5.5 hrs away so I wanted to make sure what I have or take will work and do what I need.

#6 ·
I use my smart phone and have my (I don't own) land plotted out on google earth from a simple to use smart phone app. I note what I have seen there, where the boundaries are,where my trail cam is, treestand etc...
It is really simple to use and you can keep it private so other people can't see your hunting hot spots.
I don't use my gps unit anymore because there is more that you can do with the phone.I even mounted my phone to my bow to broadcast my hunt via my blog and use it for simple rangefinding( it is really accurate on flat ground)...
There is all kinds of stuff you can do.If you need any help let me know.
My wife owns a title search company so we plot maps all the time.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.