The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the pros and cons of these two 357s? Which do you like and why?

·
Registered
392 Posts
I personally like Smith's better as I feel they are a little more "refined". Forged and machined versus castings. Usually much nicer trigger pulls.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
wiktor said:
I personally like Smith's better as I feel they are a little more "refined". Forged and machined versus castings. Usually much nicer trigger pulls.
What he said. THe smith is finely built gun. It also costs much more. A few hundred bucks to be exact. I bought a stainless GP100, and have no regrets. It's a good gun. The finish isn't quite as good on the ruger, and the trigger pull is a little bit harder. It does shoot better than I can with just about everything I fed it.

·
Registered
889 Posts
S&W vs. Ruger(686 vs GP100),
Accuracy: The S&W is a more accurate revolver.

Trigger: 686 has a better trigger.

Weight: 686 is lighter to carry.

If you ever need a club to beat a bad guy with: GP 100 wins. This comment was not meant as a joke. Many revolvers over the years have been used as clubs.

One is machined, and one is an investment casting

I prefer the 686 factory grips, but some like the GP100 grips better.

Ruger is cheaper to buy. And for the average shooter they will function flawlessly for life. Great for a home protection revolver. Not so hot for a carry gun.

The 686 is basically a high performance GP100. It is refined in every way. However like caviar, you need to develop the taste. The average shooter will never know the difference. Tom.

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
I have a 686 in 4 inch. The 686 has a two stage trigger which I like very much. I don't carry it too often because I have smaller carry options. My first cop jop, I carried the 586 (blued version) in 4 inch. Back in my Academy days, I went head to head in a shoot-off for class marksman against a guy with a GP100 in 6" bbl. I'm looking at my Class Marksman plaque now. HOLY CRAP!! I just realized that was 20 years ago!

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
My 586 (which is just the blued 686) 6 in barrel was purchased by me as soon as I turned 21 - which was quite a few years ago. The S&W is just a (in my opinion) more refined revolver. smoother trigger, better sights, the blued version was finished better than the GP. My S&W has always been really accurate - which I think is the norm rather than the luck of the draw.

My 586 has taken deer, a fall turkey, a few groundhogs and many, many beer/soda cans.

Both are very servicable revolvers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts