The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Woke up this morning to start my day and found that some scumbag broke into my truck and stole $700 in cash, my wallet with all my plastic man money and tc encore inline. So I had the cops come out and they did some fingerprinting. What a long day this has been. Dealing with the cops, cancelling cards, running to the bank to get new accounts (stole my checks with my account info along with my ID) but I can’t get new accounts or debit cards until I have a current drivers license or ID. Guess I’m headed to the local DMV in the morning then back to the bank. So if anyone comes across a tc encore inline for cheap around the Cranberry Twp area or surroundings shoot me a message. I’d like to personally buy it back from them if you catch my drift. Hehehe

·
Registered
651 Posts
What a crappy day, sorry you had to go through that buddy. I'm not too far from cranberry, I'll keep my eyes peeled in the greensburg area

·
Registered
9,849 Posts
That stinks. I had some druggies break into my truck and steal trail cameras a few years back. I got lucky and they didn't get my 9mm that was under the seat. They did it while my truck was parked in my driveway right outside my bedroom window. I couldn't believe that either me or my dog didn't hear it going on. Never would have believed that would happen where I live. I never go to bed anymore without locking up my truck and don't ever leave anything of value in there anymore.
Hope they catch them, but honestly, the way the criminal justice system is, all they will get is a slap on the wrist anyway.

·
Registered
18,922 Posts
sorry to hear about that. i would worry about identity theft too.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had my kimber custom 1911 45 shoved between the seats, aG7 BR2 rangefinder and Swarovski EL’s in the truck but they missed them. How about my EL’s and rangefinder we’re laying underneath the gun. Whew I’m glad they were at least kind enough to be stupid and leave me those Jem’s behind. Yeah I’ll be changing the way I do things now.

·
Registered
481 Posts
a good many years ago after a morning of fishing in mid summer heat, I stopped for a beer at a local bar. I had two fishing rods and vest along with a S&W .22 revolver on the floor in the back. some one broke the side window and took the two rods and vest, but left the revolver and the belt and holster. they had to see it, why they didn,t take it I,ll never know. but I,m glad they didn,t take it and it sure tought me a lesson. eastbank.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
It does stink but I am going to question the elephant in the room. I will never understand why would anyone leave large amounts of money, credit cards and a firearm in a vehicle over night or at all, when every day the police logs are full of vehicle break ins? I hate thieves, I think they should be shot on sight. However leaving valuables in a vehicle is like knowing someone is going to throw a right cross and you lean into it. Yeah I know I will take heat for my comments however, vehicle break ins are very common and we need to take responsibility for our security and vehicles are anything but secure.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Firearms are much more of a penalty if caught stealing them, I think that is why they are left behind sometimes. A state Trooper told me some of these pistols being stolen 50 miles from Pittsburgh are showing up in crimes within a matter of hours. Three low-lifes broke into my sons house several years ago, took several bows, couple pairs of Swarovski binoculars, some other odds and ends and money. We notified all the local sport shops right away, the next day the one guy tried to sale the one $1500 bow to one of the shops. They got caught and all just got a slap on the wrist, and one of them had an extensive criminal record, they never made any restitution that the court ordered. They actually told that they didn't take any of his guns, cause they knew the penalties are much more severe for firearms. The three weren't even from the area and were out riding around and were picking houses at random to break-in and that looked like nobody was home. Sad world we live in, but if it isn't bolted, chained or welded in place, somebody is going to eventually steal it.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
A year or so ago my truck was hit by some thieves while I was on a jobsite in Harrisburg city. They rooted through everything but all they got was some loose change. They rooted through my cds but guess they werent fans of willie,waylon, george jones and the like cause they left them all!

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I hope everything works out for you . I had some low life open credit card in my name several years ago ,got it straightened out.my advice to you is get Lifelock , they charge a fee but it is worth it they monitor your credit ,credit cards and bank accounts , check them out for your peace of mind

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
My BIL had a rifle stolen several years ago and it eventually surfaced at a gun shop a couple counties over. Turned out to be a family member that stole the rifle from him.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well the gun had been in my truck from hunting yesterday and I just took the cash out of my account yesterday to finish paying off my bear mount today from my taxidermist and my wallet is always in my truck because if it wasn’t I’d forget it in my house everyday. I guess I learned a hard lesson here. I’m sure glad I got to kill my final buck with that gun on 1/8/18 in Ohio. A great 139 5/8” 10 pt in Ohio. Then my girlfriend killed a doe at 182 yards with it this past Saturday in Allegheny county. It will be missed. That gun was like a hot wife..... she’s served me fine and screwed me over at times. Lol

·
Registered
12,211 Posts
This is something I hope I never have to deal with and I hope everything works out okay for you.

Had my apartment robbed in about 1976 when I was not there and they took a gun, which I got back a few years later in a sting operation in D.C. complete with a property tag and the film footage reference number from the recording where the guy fenced the fun. The "street name" of the guy who fenced the gun was "Chicago Bob". Funny how that sticks in my mind.

·
Registered
18,922 Posts
i never leave anything of value in my car, not even the registration or insurance card. i leave everything under my car keys on the table. when i drive i take everything with me and bring it all into the house at night. i make sure i lock my car doors as soon as they are closed even when i get in and before i start the car.

i have an alarm system for the house, a dog and a gun handy. worked 33 years in a prison, i know whats out there and its not even close to nice. lock everything and leave nothing in a car, in plain sight. out of sight, out of mind.

this is not criticism, its just the way i do things. bad things can happen to good people regardless of the precautions we take.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Sorry to hear it. Only thing stolen from one of my vehicles was prescription sun glasses and a GPS. Yours was not a good morning.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Too easy to break a window...sorry but I would never leave a wallet in a car with more than $50. That being said, I had the same wallet problem you had. I bought a bowl that every day...I put my wallet, keys because like you it's in diff pants or coat etc. Soon as I'm in the door, it is in the bowl. Hope their prints are in the system

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
My son has a Jeep with a vinyl top. In the windows he has a sign " DON"T CUT MY ROOF! THE DOORS ARE NOT LOCKED AND THERE IS NOTHING INSIDE ! LOOK IF YOU WANT ?"

·
Registered
675 Posts
My brother inlaw was bow hunting with his buddy one day and heard a car pull up the dead end rd they where parked on. they where like a 100 yds away comming in from morning hunt. They could see there Bronco through the trees and as they where getting closer this scumbag starts busting the window out of the back to steal his climber. Well it did"t turn out to well for this guy as they split up and his friend snuck between the scumbags car and truck and my brother inlaw came out behind the scumbag,he takes off running with stand to get to his car and bam down he goes and after choice words and a broken nose and fractured and bruised ribs they held him down and called the state police. After the cops arrived he cuffed him and the guy was yelling they assaulted me the cop was like yeah,yeah and took their statement and told them good job lol. The guy had a rap sheet as long as a dictionary! Too bad they all don"t turn out like this one.

·
Registered
504 Posts
My question is why are the scumbags with long rap sheets out on the streets?
The justice system is to protect citizens, the justice system is failing.
Jail (when they are sentenced for far too short of a time), is now a luxury resort for these subhumans.
Sorry for your loss, but i would never keep anything of value in a vehicle.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts