The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the county sheriff contacted a relative of mine while he were in jail and told him they still have his guns they confiscated from him 20 years ago. Him and his wife were going through a divorce and he had a PFA against him. He got convicted of a felony and a bunch of other stuff after that so he could never own guns again. He is one of those people who is in jail as often as he is out. They told him that he could sign them over to anyone who isn't prohibited. He decided to give them to me. One of the guns is an old Savage bolt action 16 gauge that belonged to my grandfather. It has sentimental value and I never thought my family would get it back. The other is an old Stevens model 26 crack shot chambered in 22 lr. They were in good shape. I cleaned them up and I am going to find out if they still work. Neither is worth much but I am happy they are back in the family. I am going to refinish the stock of the 16 gauge. It was carved by my grandfather. I want to keep it as original as possible. I am glad the local law enforcement support the second amendment and didn't destroy those guns. They are in good legal hands now and will be cherished and passed on to my children.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am going to shoot the 16 gauge as soon as I can. I am not certain I want to shoot the Stevens 22 until I have a gun smith look at it. The bore looks ok. Do you wanna know what's really strange? I tried to shine a light down the bore of the 22 and something was clearly stuck in there. I pushed it out with a cleaning rod. It was half of a fire cracker. How did half a fire cracker get in there?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Davy Crockett said:
I like 'em all but old ones are better than new ones, especially with wood that tells their story of hunts past. Call me old school.
Yes, they don't make them like they used to. I have a few old Savage shotguns that are built solid. They are a little heavy but function fine after 60 plus years of use.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Those old bolt action shotguns never made an impression on me on upland game, but make perfect turkey guns, since you're only going to get one good shot anyway. Glad to hear the sheriff didn't send them off to be melted into garden tools.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts