The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know. Today was a hot hiking day. 90 plus degrees and a one and a half hour hike.
When I got home my winter package arrived. Stuff for me and my hiking partner. In truth she welcomed them more than me. Warm hands and warm feet and lower legs go good in winter. Especially since she only wears low cut hiking shoes and small gloves.

Swiss wool army gaiters and Chech army mittons.

My partner will have warmer hands and feet/legs this winter. The mittons are nice, with a trigger finger for her camera, but the gaiters are impressive. I originally was getting them for me, but they'll do wonders for my hiking but non hunting partner. She's totslly unfamilar with army surplus.

Next on the agenda. Full insulated base wear for the camera person. She'll like them. Plus I found them on sale. It's summer you know. Then comes head and neck wear. Nothing like planning to keep my hiking partner in shape for winter. May make winter better for me. I've been set in that area, but a new look won't hurt me.

Last year she got my small parka and watch cap. Hope to do better this year.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Didn't know it got that chilly that far south. But if it does, you both will definitely be prepared.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
I was in Army ROTC in the late 70s and loved the green wool socks with the thicker soles and the green wool glove liners that went inside the black leather gloves. I would love to find some of those socks?

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is gear that warm necessary in Georgia

Yes, in north Georgia, there is winter. Not as cold as northern PA, but it gets in the thirties and twenties. I noticed only myself one weekend morning, plus one female, one chilly morning in the teens last year. My partner begged off walking that day.
I swear Georgia has the coldest dampest days in the 40's and thirties. A lot of the regular walkers usually disappear when it gets below 50 degrees.

I remember pulling out a jon-e handwarmer and then handed it to my non-hunting hiking partner. What a look of surprise when it warmed her chilly hands.

And she got another surprise when I showed her the gaiters and mittons I got her. Didn't have to tell her once that she would be wearing them.
They'll work for me in winter when wearing miltary hot weather boots. Besides, she wears non insulated low cut hiking shoes. The wool gaiters will be used.

Do some people claim its still warm. Yes, we have a lot of people who jump from the house to the vehicle to the next building. Many never spend a an hour out in the cold. On a mile and a half walk, we'll see about five other people. Some sure love avoiding Georgia winters. She's ripe for warmer clothing. She started wearing my small parka last year.
This week it was hot weather hiking. Did three days; all before it ran from the 80's to 95's.
Did 4 1/2 miles.
People disappear then too.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Re: Is gear that warm necessary in Georgia

Just picked up acouple pair of the socks I spoke about earlier and a pair of glove liners at the surplus store that just opened in the Lycoming Mall.

·
Registered
6,066 Posts

Asajoe1, I go to Gander Mt. once in awhile.
Where's the surplus store located in the Mall?
Is it a Military Surplus?

·
Registered
2,542 Posts

Yes, all military stuff. In one of the wings off the main mall, I think the one down towards Old Navy? Only been open for afew months.

·
Registered
25,476 Posts

Hafta check it out the next time I head for camp.

Used to get the green wool glove liners at the gunshop near camp, but they stopped getting them about five or six years ago.

My favorites for deer season. They're about the only things that keep my paws warm in really cold weather.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts

Just a heads up on the socks I talked about buying earlier, upon closer inspection they contain 0% wool! Fit great and work fine but no longer are they wool.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts