The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it has been a long season for me. i hunted every day i could after school with my dad. i probably only missed 10 days of the entire season. we hadnt seen a deer after the first week of the season and were headed up to the mountains for the 2nd saturday. i missed a doe that night but we saw a good amount of deer. we headed home sunday and i had that Monday off school. dad and i went out behind the house in the morning and evening and didnt see a thing. we headed back out tuesday night and at around 6:20 a deer came in just to our left. i drew back and he stopped and looked up at me and i let the arrow fly. he was a small buck and i had hit him pretty hard. we waited a half hour and went to the point of impact. there was no blood and we walked about 15 yards from where i shot him and found the back half of my arrow broken with no blood on it. then we found the other half of the arrow with the broadhead and it was covered in blood. we found blood in very small amounts for about 15 yards and then nothing. we searched in the area for blood or a body for about 2 hours and called it a night. we went back out the next morning and grid searched for 4 hours and checked all the woods surrounding the area i shot him in. nothing. we figured that i hit him too far forward in the shoulder. we hunted the rest of that week and didnt see a thing. saturday october 13 came and dad, my brother, my cousin and i went out again. my brother and dad were in my stand and my cousin took me to the other woods acrosse the field. my brother shot a doe and saw a buck. i was really surprised he saw deer but was happy for him. dad and i hunted hard after that up until the start of the youth rifle season. we headed up to camp thursday night and met my uncle up there. friday morning we headed out and my uncle had his bow and took my brother with his rifle. not more than five minutes into his season, my uncle shot a nice 8 point. later that day i missed a big doe with the rifle and my brother put another doe on the ground. both deer were taken off the game lands. saturday we headed back out and didnt see much. after that weekend dad and i hunted hard behind the house going out every day after school and even during the hurricane. we didnt see anything. i got some pictures of some nice buck just before the season and at the beginning of the season on the trail cams but we didnt see any deer after my brother shot his behind the house. it was getting close to the end of the season and dad, my littlest brother and i headed up to camp friday november 9. saturday morning we hunted and i missed an 8 point. the buck gave me a second shot but my release would not open up to get back on the bow loop. two doe came by and the book took off after them. we saw a total of 14 deer from first light up to 10. we went back to camp and headed over to the game lands. my dad helped me up in my climber and then he tooke a walk within sight of me. he kicked a small buck and doe past me that were too far for a shot and then a big buck that wouldnt stop. he went up to where i last saw the big buck and i saw a deer and got ready. the big buck came and stopped facing me at about 45 yards and then turned broadside and started running. the buck was about 23 yards away on the other side of a log when i stopped him with a " mmmehhhhhh meeehhhhhh mmmeeehhhhh mmmehhhh". i let my arrow flow and hit him a bit high and he dropped. i yelled " wooooohoooooo i got the big one!!!!" as i began knocking another arrow. i shot at him again as only his back legs were paralized and hit the log in front of him. then i put an arrow right threw him. i was so excited and my parents were so happy that i got him. dad and i put in a lot of stand time and didnt see much. he was a nice 8 point and i shot him less than a 1/4 mile from where my uncle shot his and both were on game lands. thanks for reading! heres the pics

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys!! We were both really excited and its bigger than any buck my dad ever shot! My dad was really proud of me for stickin through the whole season of only seeing one deer behind the house though!

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Congrats!

I can relate to not seeing many deer. I did not see a deer on the public land I hunt after the first week. Makes for a long season, way to hang in there!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts